kove 800

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: kove 800

Post by catcitrus »

Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:37 am It's about the same weight as a twin cylinder 800cc rally bike from the 80's, it's what bikes in this class should weigh but there are some parts missing and I'd guess this is a pre production bike for testing. I'm not sure but it doesnt appear to have ABS which is going to restrict it in some markets other than being a single seat competition machine. I'd also guess there's not catalytic converter.
Good looking bike though, reminds me of what an F650GD/GD should have evolved into, any thoughts on prices yet.
As I've said before my son's 1983 R80 G/S is 168 kg dry so not much more than the Kove at 163 kg. The BM is of course WITHOUT lots of unnecessary crap, but also has some good features. For example its easy to upgrade the suspension(although it doesn't have the travel and ground clearance of the Kove--but you can at least get on and off it!). Also , with quick disconnect fuel lines fitted the seat and tank can be off in 30s WITHOUT tools. It even has a kick start as well as electric--but to that there is a definite knack and its easier to bump it!
scutty

Post by scutty »

I think you can't really compare this against 40+ year old bikes, for a start this has double the HP of the R80GS!

If you compare it against bikes that are for sale now it's a huge step down in weight, even against all the CB500X clones (and the CB itself).
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

You can't really compare it with a modern mass production vehicle either, it's a competition machine just like this from 40+ years ago.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... paris.html
dave h

Post by dave h »

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

So £14k for the non homologated rally and £10k for the standard version if their pricing compares to the 450.
dave h

Post by dave h »

For those interested, from the american importer,

Quick review of the pre production 800X Rally March 30th 2024.
Last year when discussing the 800 Rally project with Kove the idea was to build a more aggressive “off-road friendly version” of the 800 Adventure X model. Today I got a chance to go play on the only pre production 800 x Rally in the USA around the hills near my home!! The terrain is rocky and lots of “free roam” hill climbs and two track.
Flickable is not usually a word used to describe a big twin adv bike but the Rally 800x IS THAT! It goes where you want it to go and doesn’t have the heavy, slow to change direction and soft wallowing feel that you get with a lot of middle weight adv bikes off-road. I attempted hills and nasty rock sections that would have made me think twice on my 890 or 950se. The 70-90lbs less weight and low center of gravity really allow you to be more aggressive and confident in your line choices and attempt terrain that you may otherwise leave for a 450 or smaller bike.
The motor chugs down low and feels a lot like my 950 super enduro but the weight is much less and much lower center of gravity! Although the motor may have an appearance of the KTM 790 it has a more torque low RPM feel like the 950se. I found the 790 to be much more stall happy compared to the 890 or 950. The Kove Rally 800X has more of the heavier flywheel type low rpm chug that allows you to ride low in the RPM range without the stall feeling of the 790.
Low speed throttle control is predictable and rider friendly, easy to control and keeps traction, give it some throttle and it will wheelie without any clutch input in 1,2,3 and probably 4th as well! Super easy to lift the front end over anything you want. Substantially more power than a T7. This is the kind of motor that will allow you to ride in 3 gear for almost anything, if you happen to come into a corner in 3rd and feeling lazy, it will pull from a near dead stop in 3rd and rip your arms off! It’s NOT stall happy and has all the torque you will ever need. 1st gear is plenty low for crawling and 5-6th are like overdrive and comfortable down the road at 85-90mph all day. Not sure what the top speed is but I’d guess 120mph is not out of reach with the stock gearing (more on that later).
I haven’t touched the suspension yet and wanted to see how it was out of the box. The riding area has lots of sharp edges and hidden rocks in the grass and faster two track. Forks and shock feel great, with no strange deflection or harshness. Very happy with it so far! I’ll check the sag and test more on that later but don’t feel the need to make any adjustments yet.
Last year when convincing Kove to build the Rally 800x the idea was to build a bike for the riders that want the most aggressive off-road twin on the market. Although this is the pre production model I can say I’m very excited with the results and can’t wait to get more of you on the Rally 800X!!
I believe Fans of the T7, 790, 890 models are going to be pretty excited about the lightweight handling, suspension, precise ability to change directions and motor of the 800X, those with 690, 701 bikes will love the power and “cruise ability” of the 800 twin. Seat height is very reasonable for a bike that has this much “off-road focus”. Rides with a 29-30 inch inseam will be able to handle it no problem and taller riders may opt for a slightly taller seat. I’m 6ft 200lbs with a 32 inseam and completely comfortable with the stock seat height and ergos.
Currently we have the Adventure 800 and Rally 800 being tested for EPA and DOT compliance and expecting the certification within the next few months. We anticipate having certified production models in the USA in mid to late 24. Once I have the bikes on the assembly line we will start taking deposit, hopefully around the first of May. TBD…..
We are working hard to get the bikes in the hands of top riders and media outlets and will have more reviews and info for you ASAP. Thanks for your interest and we look forward to getting more of you on the Rally 800 and Adventure 800 so you can see what they are all about first hand!
Happy to answer any questions you may have, thanks for your interest in Kove. Thank you!! (I’m not a writer so please don’t critique me to harshly)

Dave.

Return to “BIKES”