2022 KLR 650

The Things We Ride
lancashirelad

Re: 2022 KLR 650

Post by lancashirelad »

It does all seem a bit flat pack IKEA but you’ve got to admit it’s a handsome bike though!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

lancashirelad wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:59 am It does all seem a bit flat pack IKEA but you’ve got to admit it’s a handsome bike though!
Yeah, I think it looks great, and more to the point it's the right kind of weight, power, ground clearance, suspension etc etc for proper long-distance off-road travel.

Some more footage of the factory here:

Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:17 pm Interesting to see how manual the process is. Not a robot or production line in sight. Lots of discussion below the vid about whether they should be using far more in the way of grease, loctite and torque wrenches - and a bit of a debate about it. What do you think?

Not sure if this video would put me off buying one or the reverse. It's nice to see a hand-assembled bike, but do you think it looks a bit 'slapdash'?
If you want to see "slapdash" visit CCM! I did when considering the then new 450 :shock:

Had my PR7 for a while now (since 2019) and have not found any assembly quality issues yet.
Like all designs, it has its quirks, however in 40+ years of engineering in various industries I've yet to see a design or product that hasn't.

I've no doubt the product will develop, as do all - how many models of Fireblade or GSX have the much lauded Japanese produced?
How many faulty final drives or front frame/fork combinations have BMW designed?

There are quite a few smaller manufacturers who produce good bikes Sherco, Beta, AJP etc worth considering if you have an open mind and possibly ignore recycled internet comment.

Back in the 70's I can recall a make of bike that went well until it broke, which it did frequently. A decade later their bikes were better but spares availability was difficult, but the company persevered (under several different owners), gradually honing their product and eventually became dominant across several markets.

What were they called? I remember! KTM.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Thanks chaps for bringing the PR7 to my attention - for some reason I always thought of it as a large enduro style bike rather than an adv/travel bike.
Here are a couple of reviews
https://www.madornomad.com/ajp-pr7-motorcycle-review/
https://overlandmag.com/features/ajp-pr ... re-review/
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:59 am
There are quite a few smaller manufacturers who produce good bikes Sherco, Beta, AJP etc worth considering if you have an open mind and possibly ignore recycled internet comment.
Agree with this completely. I like giving smaller bike firms a go. I ride a Beta off-road at the moment and I used to own rare stuff like Bimotas, which I just loved riding but others bikers would huddle around whenever you stopped. It's fun to own something different. Sure you have to hunt to find spares sometimes and you need to become part of the owners' forums etc to get advice - but that too is part of the interest in unusual manufacturers.

I really like the look of the PR7 and it's great that your one, Crossrutted, is doing well. It's seems to me it's got exactly the spec that many adv riders are looking for, especially as they come to acknowledge the downside of owning very big heavy bikes that they can barely pick up.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

So I have not been on the forum for some time and as part of the reason for this resulted in the sale of my beloved F800 GSA
nvzlggod.png
nvzlggod.png (805.09 KiB) Viewed 11393 times
My wife and I Upped sticks and moved this resulted in the forced sale of both mine and Emma's bikes

Well it has been a long decision but it has been made with the price of even second hand BMW's through the roof where I live now
you may well guess but I pick up a brand new KLR650 2022 tomorrow
oscrut0h.png
oscrut0h.png (857.18 KiB) Viewed 11393 times
now I have not gone with the base model or the top Adventure model but in the middle
It is going to need to be customized for my travel needs and if you are interested I will start a new thread about the mods available here for this outdated heavy POS yes I read the thread before my post I have owned two KLR's in the past but UK models. and loved them and I have also owned the HDMT 350 so I know its not an enduro bike but it will do the speed limit out here and believe me when I say they are on you if you aren't doing the speed limit I have been pulled over in the truck 4 times now
Every day is an adventure
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Nice to hear from you--and glad you are settled in the US. The Yuletide rally was a bit different this year--but with the usual suspects. A few years ago now I worked for CAT in Peoria Illinois. During the 3 years there I had a PC800, a VFR750 AND a KLR 650--simply because I couldn't export my nearly new BM R1100S. Anyway, The KLR was a perfect travel bike with a big tank. I know they have have upgraded it and its a shame that they didn't homologate it for sale in Europe---otherwise I would have bought one here. It will be interesting to see how you get on .

Return to “BIKES”