Balkan Motorcycle Insurance

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveWat

Balkan Motorcycle Insurance

Post by SteveWat »

After a few years break, I’m ready to tackle a trip out to Eastern Europe next Spring.
Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia….. When I’ve traveled before I’ve bought insurance at the borders. This has worked okay at main crossing points, but I’ve been caught out at minor crossings points, when I’ve been turned back because there was no insurance kiosk.
Does anyone know of a way to buy insurance before I travel? I seem to remember there was a German broker who offered this service….it was a bit pricey but I can’t locate them now.
Cheers Steve
PaulinBont

Re: Balkan Motorcycle Insurance

Post by PaulinBont »

Hello Steve,
The German company is Tourinsure; I’ve used them several times and rate them very highly:

https://www.tourinsure.de/wp-content/up ... rad_en.pdf
SteveWat

Post by SteveWat »

Thanks Paul, that’s great.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

I had no trouble at some pretty minor Balkancrossings earlier this year. Easy and friendly to buy at the border. (At larger borders there iwas even a choice of providers but as they are all the same price it doesn't matter!)
You can buy upfront from an Austrian company , SIGAL, online, but need to know dates pretty accurately which is why we didn't go that way.
Same company has offices at some border crossings..
Ask on Horizons unlimited too.

All a bit of a PITA, as most German etc insurers will cover you with a Green card. British insurers won't, I was told this was due to the levell of claims.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

These days check your standard green card coverage--e.g. CN--simply because of the spread of countries that are "in" the EU.

Return to “TRAVEL”