Bumot Xtremada soft pannier review

The essential art of farkling.
peejay1977

Post by peejay1977 »

I don’t have any aspirations to be a vlogger but I was surprised at the lack of “real world” reviews of the Bumot soft panniers. Most of the reviews are unboxing and general reviews. Excuse the rambling and constant stammering 🤣

Bumot Xtremada soft panniers 5000 mile review - BMW R1250GS Adventure

https://youtu.be/iuqDuOqarhg
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

peejay1977 wrote:I don’t have any aspirations to be a vlogger but I was surprised at the lack of “real world” reviews of the Bumot soft panniers. Most of the reviews are unboxing and general reviews. Excuse the rambling and constant stammering Image

Unless you’re riding off-road….is there a benefit to using soft panniers on a big 1250 GSA, in preference to alloy boxes ?
I can’t see the attraction of this soft luggage on a road bike, maybe it’s just fashionable at this present time
Years ago we used soft panniers when touring and they were bloody awful
Then hard luggage was widely invented and it was a revelation-no more wet kit, no more stuff covered in road grime, nice clean inner bags (hard panniers left on bike) to take into your tent or accommodation - plus extra security

I did a recent road trip on my T700 and it took 5 mins to attach the rails and alloy boxes and they worked our great at the hotel - gps/mapcase and airhawk could be dumped in them overnight, whilst the clean inner bags went up to the room

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Helicoptermanr22

Re: Bumot Xtremada soft pannier review

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Love mine and I can get so much in them.

Great construction, easy to remove, and if the bike goes down, there will be virtually no indication, unless it’s a long scrape.
Attachments
IMG_4177.jpeg
IMG_4177.jpeg (275.63 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
peejay1977

Post by peejay1977 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:15 am
peejay1977 wrote:I don’t have any aspirations to be a vlogger but I was surprised at the lack of “real world” reviews of the Bumot soft panniers. Most of the reviews are unboxing and general reviews. Excuse the rambling and constant stammering Image

Unless you’re riding off-road….is there a benefit to using soft panniers on a big 1250 GSA, in preference to alloy boxes ?
I can’t see the attraction of this soft luggage on a road bike, maybe it’s just fashionable at this present time
Years ago we used soft panniers when touring and they were bloody awful
Then hard luggage was widely invented and it was a revelation-no more wet kit, no more stuff covered in road grime, nice clean inner bags (hard panniers left on bike) to take into your tent or accommodation - plus extra security

I did a recent road trip on my T700 and it took 5 mins to attach the rails and alloy boxes and they worked our great at the hotel - gps/mapcase and airhawk could be dumped in them overnight, whilst the clean inner bags went up to the room

To be honest the biggest reason for switching to soft panniers was to give better flexibility for packing. Every time I go away with my partner we both pack the inner bags for the panniers and as usual she packs too much and the bag is an odd shape to then squash into the aluminium boxes. Been doing it that way for 6 years and to be fair it’s never been a “problem” but I find the soft bags a bit more forgiving if you’ve packed the inner bag a bit more oddly.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Enjoyed the video, thanks!

I took soft panniers on my first European trip, they were fantastic to be able to get loads in, and better as they accommodate awkward shapes a bit easier.
But since that trip I’ve used hard panniers on my other trips. For me, travelling on my own, it’s that security of being able to leave the bike knowing that all my stuff is locked away, and that while I’m shopping for yet more cheese and cakes I’m very unlikely going to come back and find some toe-rag has taken all my gear. I did try the armoured cable around the soft luggage but found it was quite a faff.

👍
IMG_9631.jpeg
IMG_9631.jpeg (252.97 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Agree with what Bumot owners above say.

I have them fitted on my CCM Gp450. With no exhaust notch needed I got Cliff at the Adventure Bike Shop to order me two full size panniers. They come with inner bags, they lock to the frames and expand/contract as needed. I leave them on the bike all the time and they squeeze in when empty taking up less room in my narrow garage.

see: https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/sof ... er-system/

As I was concerned about the contents not being locked I use Steel Core security straps vertically around the pannier and frame to stop opening.

https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/sof ... .3m-4.5ft/

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “ACCESSORIES”