Big softies

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
KTMBLAG

Big softies

Post by KTMBLAG »

I've decided to go down the soft luggage route, I'm finding it a bit difficult with the packing of the bags. Does anyone have any advice on packing the bags. Mainly hard objects are the problem stove pans etc. I'm using kriega us20 over rotapax's and mounting plate
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Re: Big softies

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Have you thought about using something less, 'expensive' for your pans/stoves etc (i.e. your 'dirty' stuff?)

Any old dry bag from Ebay would work, after all there is a good chance that hard stuff will wear out at contact points, so cheap is good (I got some ex-army dry bags for a couple of quid each, and they are still good today, 5 years on).

You've not mentioned where the US20's are mounted, I'll assume on the side for now ->

Pack the hard stuff together, as best as you can and mount it on the top of the bike, seat rear rack etc.

For the US20, there are different ways, I believe that tidy is compact, so here's how I get a weekends supply of clothes into one US20.

Compression/vac-bags, put your clothes in these and take out the air, it's surprising how little space they then take up. They become very hard and stiff, much easier to load into a small bag. They also have nice little side effect in that when your cloths come out, the creases drop out in a few minutes, and they offer a secondary level of waterproofing

Organisation, I put the vac-bags into 10litre 'cubes', these are the ones Touratech sell, got them years ago and they fit perfectly into the US20. I have one cube for clean and one for dirty.

I've tried to load the same stuff into a US20 without the vac-bag/cube combo and it just doesn't work. So more is less in a physics defying way...

With two 10litre cubes in the US20, there is also a little space at the top to take a pair of trainers - hold on, 10 + 10 doesn't fill 20litres ???? I know, it freaks me every time!

The trick with the US20, or10 or even 5, is to have it full. They work best (or rather keep water out) when they are full.

This is how I do it, and it works for me. It might not work for you and I'm sure someone will come along and suggest another method that is 'better'. You are going to have to listen to the suggestions and work it out for yourself to get it right.

It seams like I've not answered your initial question, but by getting more into your US20, there will be less hard-stuff to pack elsewhere.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
Selous

Re: Big softies

Post by Selous »

as most of it has been covered above, I personally use Dry bags 1 for me 1 for her to put our gear in socks panties shirt trs ets & shoes.
another for all cooking gear tent on its own & 2 fart sack's together in another bag.

the Us20 nno idea I have a coleman multi fuel cooker & MSR pots with cups alredy fit inside

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”