how many miles of bridleway in the UK?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mark Manley

how many miles of bridleway in the UK?

Post by Mark Manley »

I realise that this is not a motorcycle related question, more to do with cycling, but I am sure one of our worldwise number will be able to answer this question. You would have thought just google it, but nothing about how much there is in the UK or the countries there in.
If you know of a website with a map of bridleways on it I would be interested to hear about it as well.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
dusi

Re: how many miles of bridleway in the UK?

Post by dusi »

Hi Mark, don't know what area your after, but try your local rights of way officer at your local council, they'll have a definitive map of the area, and sometimes an on-line one, try www.bywaydatabase.com or just goggle search n sit back n have fun, all d best Dus
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

Thanks for that Dusi, it was more a question asked out of curiosity. I also like to plan cycle trips without using roads and although Landranger maps have all the detail I am looking for, buying the set for England is expensive so an on-line map would be helpful.
I have found out that there are over 140,000 miles of footpath and an unknown but shrinking amount of byway but no mention of how much bridleway.
If anybody is interested I also found out that it is legal to push a bicycle along a footpath, something that I have been challenged by some busybody for doing in the past.
dusi

Post by dusi »

What about the Azari digital map GPS that displays OS maps in real time, has any one bought/tried one? Due to the horrid NERC bill recently implemented, it may have changed all sorts of classifications for Bridleways, it certainly down graded loads of RUPP's, now we (motorcycles n any road legal vehicles) only really have BOAT's in England, all though there are UCR's too, lots in Wales, I always thought you could push anything on a footpath, but not ride it, ie bicycle's etc, because you'd still be on foot, there must be a way of finding out total mileages (tho that is just a statistic/number, more interested in where they are, than how many :) ), wonder if we could ask the OS guy's direct? For those who don't know, and I'm sure most peep's on here do, a RUPP is a road used as a public path, a BOAT is a byway open to all traffic, and a UCR is a unclassified road, to busy at the mo to try the OS, n off to Britonia tomorrow for a fun filled bike day, all d best Dus
k44rll

Post by k44rll »

Mark Manley wrote:....although Landranger maps have all the detail I am looking for, buying the set for England is expensive so an on-line map would be helpful.
Full UK online OSGB toggled with Google maps with route planning and the ability to upload routes to GPS ....

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Hope this helps
Karl
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

k44rll wrote:
Mark Manley wrote:....although Landranger maps have all the detail I am looking for, buying the set for England is expensive so an on-line map would be helpful.
Full UK online OSGB toggled with Google maps with route planning and the ability to upload routes to GPS ....

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Hope this helps
Karl

Great site!;)
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

I have just had a play on this site and it looks the business, thanks for the tip.
The sun is shining right now and it is about time that I went out and ejoyed it.

Return to “THE PUB”