CRF250L Knobbly Tyres - advice please

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chunky butt

Re: CRF250L Knobbly Tyres - advice please

Post by chunky butt »

Yep great little bike that really impressed and full respect to Ian for getting it around, basically he just lacked grip. Like to see how it goes with the right rubber on.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

just a after thought ... as you know the enduro tyres do alter the gearing quite a bit over the standard tyre that and the 24hp shows it much more on the crf
..im duelsporting and tend to just go up one on the rear to compensate and uk tracks arnt so steep and demanding ...when out in bulgaria ive used a13 /43 combo and that really helps in tight steeper stuff brings 2nd and third and even fourth into play if its steep ..patches the big gap to 2nd quite well

but it will be buzzing its tits of f at 55mph which by the sounds of it doesnt really matter much ....tend to set off in 2nd a lot but its great for slippy woodsy stuff ....little bike did ok over there its proper steep and sketchy in places ....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
WillS

Post by WillS »

Hi Dave, just a thought.. When I purchased the CRF it had fitted a nearly new set of Enduro tyres, i replaced them with TKC80 as I was going to do more mixed road / off-road riding.
They tyres fitted were Michelin Enduro Competition 120/90/18 rear and 90/100/21 front.
They were great off-road with lots of grip, but really didn't like the feeling on road in the corners, the bike felt to be be moving.
I think the tyres are just in the road legal bracket.
Hope this helps....
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

WillS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 am Hi Dave, just a thought.. When I purchased the CRF it had fitted a nearly new set of Enduro tyres, i replaced them with TKC80 as I was going to do more mixed road / off-road riding.
They tyres fitted were Michelin Enduro Competition 120/90/18 rear and 90/100/21 front.
They were great off-road with lots of grip, but really didn't like the feeling on road in the corners, the bike felt to be be moving.
Hope this helps....
Cheers Will - I'll let him know.

That's what it was like for us following you on the N260 back from Andorra 2 years ago! I've ridden that road at full chat a few times on good sports bikes but not at that speed on a single cylinder enduro bike with non-street legal full knobblies. It was like navigating a trawler through a sea of jelly. Still a good ride (even though those 30kms ate through about half the tread!).
WillS

Post by WillS »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:38 pm
WillS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 am Hi Dave, just a thought.. When I purchased the CRF it had fitted a nearly new set of Enduro tyres, i replaced them with TKC80 as I was going to do more mixed road / off-road riding.
Hope this helps....
Cheers Will - I'll let him know.

That's what it was like for us following you on the N260 back from Andorra 2 years ago! I've ridden that road at full chat a few times on good sports bikes but not at that speed on a single cylinder enduro bike with non-street legal full knobblies. It was like navigating a trawler through a sea of jelly. Still a good ride (even though those 30kms ate through about half the tread!).
It's why I went for the TKC80 a good 50/50 but agree crap in the mud!! But most of the trails around here and the Pyrénées in France and Spain are pretty good hard trails. They seem a good compromise between grip and lasting the kms.
That blast back on the N260 was a great ride!! Loved it, let's hope we can do it again... Love that description (Sea of jelly) lol...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

WillS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:55 pm
..... But most of the trails around here and the Pyrénées in France and Spain are pretty good hard trails. ....
That blast back on the N260 was a great ride!! Loved it, let's hope we can do it again
Do you MIND Will .. please keep that sort of language to youself...!!

(.. sent from muddy lockdown wet cold welsh wales )
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

with the CRF20L .. it was ok for local tarmac rides, and even longer ones, to mid wales, but i tried to turn it into a trail enduro .. knobblie tyres, and, as mentioned, altered the gears by putting different cogs front and back ... the more i changed it the worse it got .. even t he handling, as i had put a larher tyre profile on the rear... it almost as if Honda, with all their experience wealth and research may have known a bit more that me lol :lol:
Al Hutchins

Post by Al Hutchins »

Iv'e got a crf 450L and have fitted Dunlop Geomax enduro tyres which I have at 14PSI these have been great in the mud and chalk around Kent. along with not being to bad on tarmac, bizarrely I found it handled better at 14PSI than 20PSI.

Hope you find what your looking for

Return to “TECHNICAL”