Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Crossrutted »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:27 pm
dave h wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm my point is,
the vote you cast will either go on to win or lose,
thats life,as in thats democracy carried out,
thats life as in move on or keep going round and round,

dave.
I get that Dave, however when decisions as important as Brexit and Independence have been influenced by a myriad of lies and deceit, which in both cases they have, then that is not democracy and you cannot expect people to just move on.

People are angry and upset and although in the case of Brexit are unlikely to get another vote anytime soon, the UK countries pulled into Brexit by Little England are going to flex their muscles and demand their votes for independence. In the case of Scotland they demand a new vote based on truth this time.

Who are you, or anyone else, to deny or stop that?
I didn't get a second vote about Brexit even when the deceit and lies became obvious to all.

The English never get a vote about English matters, we always have to have UK votes.

I've always considered myself English, British and European - in that order.

So I've been dragged out of Europe.

Looks like the Union is faltering.

I'm very clear and happy about my English "mongrel " heritage.

My view on the Union is changing with time because I'm so sick of carping Scots. Scotland historically has always attempted to shaft England and allies itself with France.

Let's have a full UK vote about letting Scotland go it's own way. England will be financially better off and we can ban haggis and bloody bagpipes.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The drift towards self governing for Scotland and Wales has prompted a nationalist "uprising"--personally I vote for independence for Kernow! But seriously, how on earth will Scotland in particular be self supporting without financial support from Westminster. Unlike Norway there is no oil revenue fund--have the SNP ever done a book balancing exercise--and having border controls to start with would be bad enough, and then how would they sensibly trade with Europe across that border if they eventually managed to get back into the EU.? Interesting times indeed ---lets see where we are in a few years.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I'm so sick of carping Scots. Scotland historically has always attempted to shaft England and allies itself with France.
Let's have a full UK vote about letting Scotland go it's own way. England will be financially better off and we can ban haggis and bloody bagpipes
So to get things straight you want the UK to rejoin the EU but chuckout a country allready in the UK because of the ties it has with one of the countries you think the UK should re-align with.

..........Ye makes perfect sense :roll:
Its a trick............get an Axe
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Asgard wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:38 pm
I'm so sick of carping Scots. Scotland historically has always attempted to shaft England and allies itself with France.
Let's have a full UK vote about letting Scotland go it's own way. England will be financially better off and we can ban haggis and bloody bagpipes
So to get things straight you want the UK to rejoin the EU but chuckout a country allready in the UK because of the ties it has with one of the countries you think the UK should re-align with.

..........Ye makes perfect sense :roll:
No, I want the United Kingdom to stay united. However...
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:44 pm
I didn't get a second vote about Brexit even when the deceit and lies became obvious to all.
No, but you (we) should have.

The English never get a vote about English matters, we always have to have UK votes.
Actually they do, it is a regular occurrence. The SNP do not vote on England only issues (Scottish Labour and Conservatives, shouldn't either, but do in order to bolster their English parties positions). The problem should have been avoided by having a devolved English Parliament, but England didn't want that...

I've always considered myself English, British and European - in that order.
Nowt wrong with that

So I've been dragged out of Europe.
If you are English / living in England, then the majority of your peers voted to leave. On the other hand over 60% of those in Scotland voted to remain.

Looks like the Union is faltering.
This isn't new, it has been for a very long time.

I'm very clear and happy about my English "mongrel " heritage.
You should be, however you are in the minority, most only celebrate what they consider to be good and are uneducated about the dodgy bits.

My view on the Union is changing with time because I'm so sick of carping Scots. Scotland historically has always attempted to shaft England and allies itself with France.
Good, we'll keep on carping then... Ask yourself why Scotland has sided with France against England, could it be due to the invasions, denial of trade, killing of Queen etc. that England imposed on Scotland, even the treaty of Union was posed as a take it or be placed under siege question?

Let's have a full UK vote about letting Scotland go it's own way. England will be financially better off and we can ban haggis and bloody bagpipes.
It is not for anyone but Scotland to decide it's future, though if England wants to withdraw from the UK, you won't find many folk crying about it.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 pm The drift towards self governing for Scotland and Wales has prompted a nationalist "uprising"--personally I vote for independence for Kernow! But seriously, how on earth will Scotland in particular be self supporting without financial support from Westminster. Unlike Norway there is no oil revenue fund--have the SNP ever done a book balancing exercise--and having border controls to start with would be bad enough, and then how would they sensibly trade with Europe across that border if they eventually managed to get back into the EU.? Interesting times indeed ---lets see where we are in a few years.
Scotland puts more money into Westminster than it gets back, so Scotland is perfectly placed to be self sufficient. This is why Westminster wants to ball and chain Scotland to the UK along with water and power exports to England too.

Trade with the EU across the North Sea happens at the moment, direct from Scotland (yes, we have cargo ships too!) so why would that be a problem in the future? Are we going to be blockaded by Bojo? Of course this part of your question is related to Brexit, as it brings up the stupidity of where NI lies at the moment; half in, half out.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Am I right in thinking anyone living full time in Scotland, regardless of nationality, is eligible to vote re independence? Any mileage to be gained in moving to Scotland before any next referendum, and if the country gets independence, do all full time residents automatically qualify for a Scottish (possible future EU) passport?
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Spike941 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 pm Am I right in thinking anyone living full time in Scotland, regardless of nationality, is eligible to vote re independence? Any mileage to be gained in moving to Scotland before any next referendum, and if the country gets independence, do all full time residents automatically qualify for a Scottish (possible future EU) passport?
Yes, the last vote was open to residents.

Scotland is a very welcoming nation, you can tell by the amount of English people who have already taken up residence in Edinburgh.

Given the lax rules for playing for the national football team... Did yer granny have a Westie dug son? Aye! Yer in. I suspect we could work something out.

Return to “THE PUB”