what have you done to your bike today??

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: what have you done to your bike today??

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Asgard wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pm Started the little 250 yam up ...pushed it so the front wheel was against a wall and did the revup and put it into gear thing to free the clutch which always sticks fast when left for any amount of time...

.......then wheeled it back in the garage :|

Really Want to go playing, but if I messed up id rightly feel a right bastige having to call for help in the current situation
My sentiments exactly...I go out to walk the dogs, and either Kate or myself goes to the shop when we have to, and that's it. As I tend to save things up until I really need to go to town, it's a car job every time: it's groceries plus animal feed bags etc. I really don't want to be in a hospital (or even go to the doctor) just now.

The whole thing is very strange. Kate had suspected covid, tested negative, then got long covid which took weeks to get over. I've stayed perfectly well, but might still have had covid! I have little faith in the rest: it's 70 % accurate ie 3 out of 10 patients who test negative are really positive. It's best to just regard yourself as potentially infectious, reduce contact with the outside to a minimum and wear a mask etc.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I stood in the garage looking at the KLX250 I bought a few months ago wondering if I’d ever ride it :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

started repairs on my bike hut (bike tent) ..

it is over a year old and starting to rot and fall apart, the canvas .. the metal is fine, and well tied down against winter storms, which is why i did nt want to buy a new one, as a lot of work was involved in securing the tent (cables, concrete blocks).

When i moved to this old peoples home, the other geriatrics took great offense at my having a motorbike, and there was even threats and violence, with police involved ...... I had lost my sheds when i was evicted from my caravan, and i had also moved out of my previous flat, so i had nowhere to work on the bikes, or indeed store them properly.

The bike hut solved that, but now i have adjusted it so that the top does not fully close, giving me a ROOF :o ... ie .. a `shed` area.

i have stgarted placing new tarpaulins over the old, which is getting mouldy and rippy ... it is letting water in through the fabric .. so i will have to complete the coverings and then give it a good douse down inside.

in the meantime the poor bike is getting a bit rusty ( like me) and in need of a good clean, perhaps an outing to tesco on sunday?

I hope the whirring / grinding noise i can hear is something simple? seems to be coming from the engine? .. been feeling sick about it all over xmas ... will have to bite the bullet and investigate soon? doh .... always something innit?
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

garyboy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:21 pm started repairs on my bike hut (bike tent) ..

it is over a year old and starting to rot and fall apart, the canvas .. the metal is fine, and well tied down against winter storms, which is why i did nt want to buy a new one, as a lot of work was involved in securing the tent (cables, concrete blocks).

When i moved to this old peoples home, the other geriatrics took great offense at my having a motorbike, and there was even threats and violence, with police involved ...... I had lost my sheds when i was evicted from my caravan, and i had also moved out of my previous flat, so i had nowhere to work on the bikes, or indeed store them properly.

The bike hut solved that, but now i have adjusted it so that the top does not fully close, giving me a ROOF :o ... ie .. a `shed` area.

i have stgarted placing new tarpaulins over the old, which is getting mouldy and rippy ... it is letting water in through the fabric .. so i will have to complete the coverings and then give it a good douse down inside.

in the meantime the poor bike is getting a bit rusty ( like me) and in need of a good clean, perhaps an outing to tesco on sunday?

I hope the whirring / grinding noise i can hear is something simple? seems to be coming from the engine? .. been feeling sick about it all over xmas ... will have to bite the bullet and investigate soon? doh .... always something innit?
Blimey Gary, good luck with it all. Can't even offer to come and help you with the way it is at the moment :(
one-legged adventurer
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

cheers Bob .. very much appreciated ..
we are probably all struggling in these times , but any offers of any sort of support of any kind is always very appreciated :) :D 8-)

I am used to having to do things on my own and am very independent, anyway .. and mr bezos has been delivering goodies to me very reliably .... in fact, got some poli rope due in 10 minutes?

best wishes Bob .. and good luck with everything

update ..
ImageDSCN5006 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

the poly rope arrived on time .. the real time tracking was awesome ..
the bike home so far .. new (crap rippy) green tarpaulin in place, more tarpaulin to come, to cover it all on top .. note rips in old fabric lol :lol: 8-)
Last edited by garyboy on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

Had a session on my BSA 49 Star Twin the fitting a new choke cable and speedo cable, a 10 minute job, no, 1 hour plus need to make a bracket.
Fitted the speedo cable first then started the bike, first kick! to check the Indian speedo actually worked, the rear wheel is high enough off the ground when on the centre stand to run it in gear. It works is it correct, possibly but the speedo mount (homemade by a PO) needs replacing as the speedo cable snags the light switch on the back of the headlight. Probably why it did not have a speedo cable fitted. An original BSA bracket will not fit as the mounting bolts are in a different place on the Indian replica speedo, 90 deg out!
Then tank off and then carb off as not enough room to lift the slides out of the carb too close to the frame. When replacing the carb there is a battle to get the air filter rubber connector to fit the carb and filter cover.
The joy of classic bikes, but at least I do not need a £nn gadget to reset everything, just time to fit the replacement bits that almost fit.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

My ordered K&N 'Recharger' kit arrived today, gonna wait til the weather improves to service my K&N race air filter fitted on the V-Strom DL1000 out in the garage.

Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I serviced the Serow and took it for a fresh MOT :shock:

She wasn't too keen to fire up at first muttering some thing about; where the **** have you been for the past couple of months :?: plus its -2ºC; its foggy and there is black ice everywhere, but you could go the slightly longer route as the MOT doesn't actually run out until Monday :roll:

TTFN

Hugh.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Uncovered the Yamaha BWS today after it sitting outside under a cover unused for 5 months. Expecting some work to get it started, surprised when it started immediately I pushed the button. Maybe this EFI isn't so bad after all :lol:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Fitted new handguards to the Rally, I'd got them for the XR but it has solid ended bars!
Anyway they went on lovely :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “BIKES”