We had to follow EU law,

Dave.
OB1

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by OB1 »

dave h wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:01 pm We had to follow EU law,

Dave.

Nope.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

dave h wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:01 pm We had to follow EU law,

Dave.
Correct.....

However there has always been provision for a member state to request a dispensation to reduce taxes on sanitary products, which given that the UK hasn't done so, and the agreement to scrap the tax dates back to 2016, doesn't really say much about us as a forward thinking nation.

Creating big headlines out of mediocrity seems to be a recurring theme with Bojo and his clowns.

The latest being the "we have vaccinated more people than all the EU countries put together", yes we have, as we rushed through the approvals process to start first. Now we will fall behind as we impose a 12 week second dose timescale when the rest of the countries will stick to 21 days. But that will be hushed up wont it? They can't even manage to get the vaccine to the surgery where the Politician turned up for a photo opportunity...Doh.

Smoke, mirrors, half truths and lies is all we have to thank the Brixiteers for.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:57 pm Smoke, mirrors, half truths and lies is all we have to thank the Brixiteers for.
To be fair to Brexiteers, that only really applies to the current UK government, where mediocrity seems to be a requirement, and you never ever resign however bad the mistake / error / faux pas :cry:
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244
The gift that goes on giving. I hope those ex pat's on here are still able to get UK goods okay.
The irony that part of the Scottish fishing industry is now at risk due to this stupidity can't even be lost on those who voted leave.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Jak* wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244
The gift that goes on giving. I hope those ex pat's on here are still able to get UK goods okay.
The irony that part of the Scottish fishing industry is now at risk due to this stupidity can't even be lost on those who voted leave.
And an article of the delights that currently afflict the hauliers and fish suppliers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-55584500
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

A pal is just off the phone moaning, he ordered some fancy R1250 head protectors from Wunderlich in Germany, price £200, inc taxes (local as it turns out) and delivery.

UPS had an invoice for him for import VAT at £33 and Brokerage fees of £11.

So an EXTRA £44 for the same goods he could have bought pre Brexit for no additional cost. Nearly 25% more expensive. Free trade my Ar$3.

Unbelievable how some people think that that this new situation is a great thing!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:06 pm A pal is just off the phone moaning, he ordered some fancy R1250 head protectors from Wunderlich in Germany, price £200, inc taxes (local as it turns out) and delivery.

UPS had an invoice for him for import VAT at £33 and Brokerage fees of £11.

So an EXTRA £44 for the same goods he could have bought pre Brexit for no additional cost. Nearly 25% more expensive. Free trade my Ar$3.

Unbelievable how some people think that that this new situation is a great thing!
Those of us living in the EU are noticing it already, Elmer. I was a regular customer of 4 or 5 UK companies selling stuff I needed here in France. Some special horse feed products we buy have had 20% customs duties added plus increased admin and delivery charges. The business has had to employ a part-time customs agent to deal with sheafs of red-tape and pass the extra costs on to the customers. We are in the process of sourcing a similar product from Belgium, so sadly the UK firm will lose our business through no fault of their own. We are a small-fry private buyer of course, but if you multiply our inevitable reaction by millions of individual trades and bulk wholesale exports, you are looking at an enormous loss of income to the UK economy as EU buyers look elsewhere within the EU for goods they previously bought from Britain. The winners will be French, German, Dutch, Belgian, Spanish etc firms who will experience an upsurge in trade formerly done with the UK.

Just go onto ebay and look at the freshly increased shipping/duty costs that have just been added to thousands of items that now need to pass across the EU/UK border without a single market, customs union or seamless movement agreement to expedite them. It's as expensive now to import across the new border as it is to source goods from the U.S. and pay the duty charges on them. A 'free-trade deal' does not mean a customs duties free deal.

Several companies, like John Lewis for example, have just halted ALL exports to the EU. They know they are now uncompetitive and it's pointless to maintain an export operation with a dwindling demand for goods that have suddenly become far more expensive to EU customers. Living up to their 'never knowingly undersold' slogan I suppose...
Last edited by daveuprite on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:30 am
Jak* wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244
And an article of the delights that currently afflict the hauliers and fish suppliers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-55584500
Considering that Mr Gove's motivation for Brexit was the impact on scottish fishing I expect this tastes especially sour. The letter in the BBC article is damning. If this isn't resolved soon they will all be out of business.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst it is possible that our illustrious government will find a solution to this debacle, remember they have only had four years to prepare, unfortunately by then a lot of customers will have found alternative suppliers and British business and jobs will be permanently lost.
Still I am sure that the Brexiteers will be blaming the EU for this own goal.

Return to “THE PUB”