Hammock Wildcamping in UK

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
flipflopdog

Re: Hammock Wildcamping in UK

Post by flipflopdog »

Flippin ekk, I'm in the presence of Hammocking Gods by the sounds of it..!! I bought a 2nd hand Hennessy with tarp, I've used it several times and love sleeping in it. We're gonna have a look around Dartmoor next week starting on Thursday so will post a few pics if we find some good spots..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

So gents, I've reread the posts several times again, cacoon vrs upper + lower quilts, I'm guessing the cacoon is simpler to setup ?? I used my exped mattress everytime with success, never budged.
Any of you guys 'rope access' gods for your work life....??? My cancelled TCAT ride for this year has left me more time to develop a method to raise either a hammock or bell tent off the ground sufficiently as to avoid entering the food chain, it's harder than you think for the hammock, bell tent easy peasy. Have a sketch and scratch ya heads, not easy.....

frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

flipflopdog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am So gents, I've reread the posts several times again, cacoon vrs upper + lower quilts, I'm guessing the cacoon is simpler to setup ?? I used my exped mattress everytime with success, never budged.
Any of you guys 'rope access' gods for your work life....??? My cancelled TCAT ride for this year has left me more time to develop a method to raise either a hammock or bell tent off the ground sufficiently as to avoid entering the food chain, it's harder than you think for the hammock, bell tent easy peasy. Have a sketch and scratch ya heads, not easy.....

I was swayed by the ease in which you can set up the Snugpak Hammock cocoon. If you read the reviews some people dont get on with them but it folds up small and fits in my bergen side pouch and is so easy to fit over the hammock. Leave sag under it so when you get in the hammock you do not sink and compress the insulation .It ties off each end with shock cord so is very easy to do. It has a full length zip so you dont need to thread it right over the hammock. I also dont sleep well if it is cold and i find the cocoon sometimes too hot and end up unzipping the top a bit more. Unless you are really into your hammock camping cheap chinese parachute silk hammocks are a great piece of starter kit. As i said just ensure you get one that is wide enough and long enough 1.4 metres wide is the absolute minimum width for a diagonal lay. Go for the double hammock to be sure.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I’ve just taken delivery of a custom made Warbonnet Diamondback top Quilt that I order during the Black Friday sale, but the sting was in the import charges of just under £99.
It’s a 20’F (-6’C) rated quilt with +3 oz of 850 fill. This is to go with the rest of my Warbonnet hammocking setup
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:09 am Agree with frenchy above. Harmless, impact-free wild camping is a good experience. I woke up in a wood in the South Downs once, many years ago, with a fallow deer actually looking into my tent. The sound of owls and squirrels going about their night's work while you take it all in under the stars is a real joy.

The constant danger, however, is not the wildlife. It's other people. Camo'd nutters with shotguns lamping and angry landowners furious that you've camped on 'their land'. There's 2 sides to this, I guess, and we live in a paranoid world. You do look a bit strange these days choosing to camp alone in the woods, and maybe a bit suspicious as a small group doing the same. It takes a bit of explaining that you are not squatting, not stealing anything, not damaging anything and that you will have left harmlessly, without any traces remaining, by mid-morning. One person's friendly, innocuous wild-camping enthusiast is another person's weirdo loner potential serial killer...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly this! you have hit the nail on the head there Dave!

Return to “TRAVEL”