T700 v KTM 950 Adv

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

T700 v KTM 950 Adv

Post by boboneleg »

I didn't want to clog scrambled eggs post so I'm replying to Richard here, Richard asked ;

I've used my for commuting from Gloucester to Kent, and greenlaning in Wales and Dorset, and I don't think any other bike could cover that spectrum quite so well...but still waiting to hear about the Yam T7 from Bob!

The T700 is a different bike from the KTM but also very similar in some repects. The Yam doesn't have the snap of the KTM but is deciptively fast at times, the engine is so smooth that you're doing 80 when you think you're up to 50, on the KTM you know what speed you're doing as it lets you know. The riding posiiton of the Yam is comfortable for me and I can't wait to take it on a long trip.

Despite all the stuff you read about the Yam's suspension (or lack of it) I don't find it a problem, the rear spring needs replacing if you're going to use it off road a lot but for road riding it's not a problem. The KTM's suspenders out of the box are superb. The only way I could truly compare them side by side would be to ride some of the fast trails in the Alps/Pyrenees and that's just not happening at the moment. I have taken the Yam down snotty lanes and it just sailed through it but that was at slow speeds.

I have 3,500 miles on the Yam now and nothing has gone wrong, broken or fallen off despite it being built to a price, this bodes well for the future. I also suspect that the Yam will need a lot less maintenance than the KTM's need.

I am a huge fan of KTM's and I was first inline for the 790 but I honestly don't like any of they're present offerings , would I have another 950 ? Yes I would as I reckon they are an absolute classic bike . Would I get another 950 to replace the T700, no ! The Yam is the modern day 950/990 for me.
IMG_6972.JPEG
IMG_6972.JPEG (220.16 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
one-legged adventurer
bikenav

Re: T700 v KTM 950 Adv

Post by bikenav »

nice summary ridden the T7 briefly (nothing not to like was my feeling) but not the KTM, I would have thought that they were the most comparable pair, very similar design concept I would have thought all be it in different era's,
bowber

Post by bowber »

Had a 950 a few years ago and now me and my wife share a T7, I'll agree with most of Bobs assesment apart from the front suspension on the 950, I fitted harder front springs to mine which made the front end much better off road.
If I was given a choice between a new 950 Adv & a T7 today I'd be riding away on the T7, it's lighter, more economical and almost certainly more reliable, it maybe doesn't have the same ... excitement? as the 950 but that soom wears off when you're wondering what that new rattle is or trying to find that huge oil leak (oil pressure sender on mine) or wondering why KTM can't make a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that works.

Steve
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

bowber wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:56 pm Had a 950 a few years ago and now me and my wife share a T7, I'll agree with most of Bobs assesment apart from the front suspension on the 950, I fitted harder front springs to mine which made the front end much better off road.
If I was given a choice between a new 950 Adv & a T7 today I'd be riding away on the T7, it's lighter, more economical and almost certainly more reliable, it maybe doesn't have the same ... excitement? as the 950 but that soom wears off when you're wondering what that new rattle is or trying to find that huge oil leak (oil pressure sender on mine) or wondering why KTM can't make a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that works.

Steve
Well put, I forget about the fuel economy. I'm still getting 64mpg on mine compared to 37mpg on my last 990.
one-legged adventurer
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Good bit of useful info on the T700 - I had one out on a test ride and was well impressed - also had a new 1250 GS out on the same day - but enjoyed myself more on the T700 - It is right up there as a favourite for when the time comes for me to change.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

I’ve had brief rides on both so not much of a review I’m afraid.
I rode my mates 950Adv whilst trail riding in the Alps - too narrow, top heavy and fast for me.
Took the T7 out for a 2 hour, road only, test ride and loved it - comfy, smooth but fast and solid on the road. I ride a 1200gs and I’d go as far as saying that the T7 was more solid on the road, at high speed, than my GS.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Bob, you failed to mention the T7 aesthetics-or lack of.

IMO it is so bloody ugly - what is going on with the high headstock compared to the seat?
A good graphics set almost makes them acceptable , almost but not quite.

I thought the 790 was grim looking but the T7 makes it look like a supermodel !

The 950 was a design classic, functional in the extreme, won Dakar until the rules changed.

I like my 2004 950S better than the 990s and SE's I had. I can stand and look at it all day.

The Tenere 600s of the 80's were superb looking bikes, but would appear to be Yamaha's styling zenith. :cry:
bowber

Post by bowber »

I never thought of my 950 as a design classic, it was as ugly the day I sold it as when I bought it.
While the T7 isn't pretty it's better looking in the metal than the 950/990.
As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder 😋

Steve
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Crossrutted wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 pm Bob, you failed to mention the T7 aesthetics-or lack of.

IMO it is so bloody ugly - what is going on with the high headstock compared to the seat?

The 950 was a design classic, functional in the extreme, won Dakar until the rules changed.

I like my 2004 950S better than the 990s and SE's I had. I can stand and look at it all day.

The Tenere 600s of the 80's were superb looking bikes, but would appear to be Yamaha's styling zenith. :cry:
Nice try at a wind up Rob, but I'm not biting ;)
one-legged adventurer
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Crossrutted wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 pm Bob, you failed to mention the T7 aesthetics-or lack of.

You don't need to look at it, when you're riding it

790R, good looking?.................you need Specsavers :mrgreen:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”