Its never too late to ride to Ullapool!

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Its never too late to ride to Ullapool!

Post by Steve T »

Loverly run out today with Ullapool the end of the “Out-Run” and the beginning of the “Home-Run”.

A nice view towards Bonar Bridge spoilt with an ageing Transalp in the frame . . . could have been worse, there could have been an aged Welshman in view! :o

Took the lesser travelled road towards Ledmore junction, with views like this distracting me as I rode north . . .

Then there were beasts like these Jaggy-Heeds wandering alongside the road :shock: . . .
Just before I came across these fellas grazing next to the road there was a very large herd of the beasts well away from the road, all heading for the hill tops.

The view west from Knockan Crag . . . again with the aged Transalp in frame . . .

. . . and even the aged Welshman in this shot :roll: :D

Finally we have Ullapool boat park.

A little under 250miles covered on predominantly wet roads, under ever clearing skies . . . which was very nice (but I’m glad I had my heated inner gloves plugged in).
Only over the final dozen miles before home did rain actually drop on me. Still a great day for a ride.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
bikenav

Re: Its never too late to ride to Ullapool!

Post by bikenav »

very nice pics. diolch yn fawr.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Transalp 650 is one of the few bike I wish I never sold, still it went to a good home in 2009 - utterly reliable bit of kit.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 177907.cms

Came back in a crate a good while later.

That front spark plug must have done well over 70k miles now as nobody new how to take it out :-)
Always an adventure, never a disappointment.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Nice photos Steve i was riding around Dent and the Hawes area in a mini monsoon
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg (218.77 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
But it did stop now and again it was great the roads where empty
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Fairly empty roads up here as well Eric :lol:

However, rode up behind a groups of 3 bikes as I was heading out, just before Inverness. I peeled of, taking a less used road, not thinking I'd see them again! Wrong.
Half way over the Struie I stopped to clean my visor, only to have the 3 of them zip past.
3 miles down the road, I zipped past them as they took in a view . . . or something.
Barely 3 miles further on, after I stopped to take that 1st photo, they went past me again.
They next came into view as I entered Bonar Bridge from Ardgy . . . as they left the village heading towards Lairg. They must have been "nipping on" as they were gone from view even on the mile plus long straight before Invershin!
My next view of them was in my rear view mirrors, just before I climbed the final hill before Ullapool - you know, the one with the "difficult" bend right at the top.
Made a point of chatting with them at the chippy after I'd taken the last photo. Their lead rider was known to me . . . and had been following a route I'd taken with him in tow many years ago :D

Didn't see them once on the run home though ;)

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Good to hear the chippy was still open thats all i went to Hawes for it was really quiet around the dales seen more bikes out on a Christmas day
IMG_1787.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg (174.48 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I like to take in Ullapool when up for the pre65 trial a couple of times we’ve got the ferry to Stornaway just for the sail we’ve never actually set foot in Stornaway just stay on the ferry :D i did the ABR camping weekend in 2011?? But camping weren’t for me the year after I stayed at the hostel facing the docks in town :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”