TET GPX Files, iPad and Garmin Montana.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
OnHellas

TET GPX Files, iPad and Garmin Montana.

Post by OnHellas »

Right, bare with me here as I’m not good at this electronic stuff. A preloaded SatNav or Booking.com on my phone I’m OK with, the how it gets there bit....not a clue.

So, we have Garmin Montana 600 without any maps in it at all.
We want to download the GPX files for some of the Trans Euro Trail using our iPad.
We then want to put said files onto the already mentioned Garmin unit.

Is it best to have the European Maps/Topo Maps in the unit itself or on an SD Card and then put the GPX files in to the machine memory.....or the other way around.
Baring in mind that we would like to do Norway, Sweden and Finland. Big files maybe?
Maps in machine and TET files on SD Cards seems the logical solution to me....?

I think downloading the files from the website to the iPad is just about in my capability set. But any advice is welcome.

From iPad to Garmin or SD Card???? I think I need (yet another) Apple gadget interface thingy. This is the bit I definitely am not sure about.

I do like Apple stuff but now and again I feel that I’ve done myself buying in to it.

Thanks to all, even those laughing at my shortcomings in the modern world.
Hugh

Re: TET GPX Files, iPad and Garmin Montana.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings from one technophobe to another,

I am not sure that you can download the files to your iPad and to them transfer them to your Garmin as there is no way to connect the two by cable (the pipe that carries the smoke from one machine to another :roll: ).

It might be worth your visiting your local Apple store as I have always found the folks in them to be very helpful. Alternatively, you could try asking online;

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/apps

Go make a brew and another 'idea' is sure to come by soon from somebody who knows better than we two put together.

TTFN

Hugh.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

NicoD is your man for this ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm NicoD is your man for this ;)
Or Chunky as long you're happy travelling to Tarbes in SW France, and nowhere else. :lol:
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm NicoD is your man for this ;)
Ha, thanks for the endorsment Mr Chunky, I'll attempt to help :D

Right then, I have no experience with that Apple shit but I guess that they consider it beneath themselves to offer any sort of wired connectivity from what you say.
I suggest forgettting about your ipad for now. Do you have a friend/relative/butler with a 'normal' pc/laptop/tablet that a usb cable can be plugged into ? If so use that route.
It is generally better to put the maps on the microSd card in the garmin, to get them there it's best to take the card out of the garmin and put in a card reader plugged into pc etc, ( many windows laptops have them built in ).
IMPORTANT : create a folder on the card named 'Garmin' if it doesn't already have one. Put your maps in this folder. Make a subfolder named GPX and put your tracks that you downladed for the TET etc in this.

Hope this helps and is clear enough. There are probably other solutions involving an ipad that I'm sure someone else could help with.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Just had a quick google, this may do the trick for the ipad connection.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD82 ... ra-adapter

I guess your ipad has lightning socket ?

or this
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT ... era-reader

you could put the sd card in and read / write off it
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

NicoD, you sir are a Leg End. That all makes sense, most of it anyway. Especially the folder and sub folder re the Maps and the separate TET Tracks.
I always wondered how people did it.

The card reader looks like a plan so a trip to our local Stormfront store as soon as we’re able to is on the cards......no pun intended.

Cheers guys, your help is much appreciated.

I know that the potential COVID vaccine is just that, a potential, but thoughts of travel have come to the fore.
YouTube videos for inspiration are being viewed.
Fingers crossed eh?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OnHellas wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:39 pm NicoD, you sir are a Leg End.
Did you know that he also helps old ladies to cross the road, even if they don't want to? And he donates all his spare cash to 'Help the Lesbian Dolphin'.

He's a thoroughly nice chap...
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

See, see, told you nickyd's your man. Nice going Nick, taught him all I know :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

You're welcome, glad it helped. I guess if you travel with the ipad then the card adapter would be the thing to have in case you need to update or load new tracks etc whilst on the road.

Yes nothing wrong with whiling away the winter nights planning one's next trip :D

Dave, I told you about the lesbian dolphin fund in strictest confidence :evil: ....anyway it's for 'tax' porpoises.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TECHNICAL”