Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

DavidS wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:53 pm What are the BBC doing with all our licence fee money this year?
All that virtually guaranteed income, very little new stuff produced so where is it all going?
They spent all our money on a new set for Eastenders - £86.7 (£27m over-budget), don't expect anything soon.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Jak* wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:53 pm This makes interesting, and depending on where you live and your point of view, worrying reading. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... fore-covid
Wow, that is quiet sobering.
Average age of death for UK males is 79.2 years, average time of illness 12.2 years meaning that when I retire at 67 ......... :shock: .
Anyway that's enough of deep thinking ...... let's get back to work to save more money for my pension.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:39 pm The problem with the BBC is that it has been and to greater extent still is, an institution of the UK govt and in no way independent. It suffers from a lack of diversity in class, gender and race. It has the hangovers from appointments made by the establishment and aligns itself with the old school / university tie brigade. I also think it keeps that Auntie Beeb feeling going, which is utterly patronising.

My issue is that due to the old boys club, it is firmly aligned with the Conservatives and up here over the border (in one of the colonies) with the Unionists. Question time, for example, has been shown to serially give audience admission and air time to the same people over and over again, who , of course, have a particular view...fair and impartial? No. A genuine error? No. A setup? No doubt!
I was stunned when I read the above paragraphs. The BBC certainly suffers from continually recruiting from a small pond, however it's a long time since it was aligned with the Conservatives (thank goodness).

For the last twenty years it appears to have been the propaganda arm of the New Labour party. Perhaps they send different programmes to the "colonies" Elmer?

The one thing the BBC is not, is neutral or balanced, either socially or politically.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Crossrutted wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:03 pm
Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:39 pm The problem with the BBC is that it has been and to greater extent still is, an institution of the UK govt and in no way independent. It suffers from a lack of diversity in class, gender and race. It has the hangovers from appointments made by the establishment and aligns itself with the old school / university tie brigade. I also think it keeps that Auntie Beeb feeling going, which is utterly patronising.

My issue is that due to the old boys club, it is firmly aligned with the Conservatives and up here over the border (in one of the colonies) with the Unionists. Question time, for example, has been shown to serially give audience admission and air time to the same people over and over again, who , of course, have a particular view...fair and impartial? No. A genuine error? No. A setup? No doubt!
I was stunned when I read the above paragraphs. The BBC certainly suffers from continually recruiting from a small pond, however it's a long time since it was aligned with the Conservatives (thank goodness).

For the last twenty years it appears to have been the propaganda arm of the New Labour party. Perhaps they send different programmes to the "colonies" Elmer?

The one thing the BBC is not, is neutral or balanced, either socially or politically.
New Labour when in power and Conservatives when in power, to be fair they are in essence the same thing. Old Labour get the same treatment as the SNP, Lib-dems may as well go home and knit a jumper.

Take an example: The SNP were running informative daily Covid updates, which made Bojo and the clowns look bad; so a word in BBC Scotland's ear and the coverage from the BBC was going to stop. Then Bojo decided that they would do something similar, (recruiting a spokesperson for Downing St at great cost to the taxpayer), so instead of taking the coverage off air, they decide to cut the end of the coverage short and invite opposition parties to stick the boot in without any SNP presence to defend the statements / information from the update.

I don't lap up what Nicci the fish (her mouth moves a lot but not much comes out) says, but the continual, blatant, partisanship at the behest of Westminster is appalling.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Im not at all sure the BBC news is biased either way, its just a pile of purile crap presented by intellectual midgets
Its a trick............get an Axe
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,
DA.jpg
DA.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 620 times
TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Yhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSKx7AOnBs
Maybe this is why the government wants to exert control over the BBC, they do not want the public to realise that their policies come from old BBC comedy shows.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

As an aside on BBC/coronavirus...as I said before Im not at all sure there is a political bias in general.

I listen to the world service often and apart from the fact that its 50% news of Africa and the other 50% divided amongst the rest of the world I find it has some mediocre stuff (I use mediocre as a compliment as I regard most media as well below that mark)
But the other morning it broadcast a long piece about how a small batch of Polio Vaccine went wrong 65 years ago and made blatant links of tenuous providence to the possible corona vaccine

Well done BBC on spreading doubt around the world and aiding the anti-vaxxers bullshit message, your timing is immaculate in its craptitude
Its a trick............get an Axe
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Wow. Frightening projections. How on earth any american could read this report and vote Trump in a week or two is beyond belief. But there again his supporters don't tend to read reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -forecasts

Or read at all, perhaps... Testimony from inside the White House suggests that Trump himself never reads further than an initial simplified first paragraph, on any issue. And It's horrific that anyone vaguely like him got to be President.

Similarly in the UK there's another one who rejects detail and depth. Luckily I left the GLA just before Johnson took over in London, but I stayed in contact with colleagues who had to make presentations and submit reports to Boris Johnson while he was Mayor of London. It became well known in the GLA offices that the person who had his attention last at the end of a meeting was the person he was most likely to listen to. No attention span, no analytical skills, no ability to balance conflicting views and no depth of understanding. A purely opportunistic chancer, playing with the idea of entitled power for its own sake. In benign times I suppose a country could just about get away with someone like Johnson, but during the worst health/economic crisis in its recent history it's a tragedy, made so much worse than it might have been.

Return to “THE PUB”