viewranger

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chipy

viewranger

Post by chipy »

Does anyone use viewranger for navigation out on the lanes?

If so what are you using it on?

any advice would be a great help.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
onslowe

Re: viewranger

Post by onslowe »

Not used Viewranger but I use the Ordnance Survey subscription maps about £25 per year and all the maps for full UK available, have a quick look and a free trial on their website if you haven't already tried. I use them for walking but they can be used for cycling etc so suspect OK for all offroad activities, works on my phone, tablet and PC. Good luck, Onslowe
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I have just started using Osmand
Its an app I think it originates from Holland and the famous openstreetmap OSM
You do NOT need internet/data to use it but you use the location of the phone/tablet.
ITS FREE - well you can have 7 maps free - I have east midlands and sth Yorkshire Aragon Catalunia and Murcia
You can elect cycle walking or motorcar
Not used it on the trails ( just on phone and a tablet whilst drinkin tea) as this shitty covid is about, but looks very good to me

did I tell you ITS FREE
HTHY :D
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
simonw

Post by simonw »

I've used OSMand for years, on phone and tablet, both on the odd lane in the UK and overseas on family holidays. It's very good, and not expensive to upgrade to the paid version which removes the limitation on map downloads.

I'm also trialing the Ordnance Survey option, which gives a month's free subscription to OS maps via the web and mobile (both Android and iPhone). See here for more info: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-mont ... on-3549104
cowling

Post by cowling »

Viewranger is great, but never used anything myself to compare it with , others I know have and praise viewranger, any android phone will do you.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

After years of using a Montana I've gone over to a rugged smartphone blackview bv6100 in a ram quick grip...

I use osmand plus for road and viewranger topo for trials as it supports ordance survey maps in UK and ign or Spain topo abroad..

You can download gpx tracks or routes to both... Took me a few days to get my head around them after y ears of garmin use..

The detail far exceeds anything garmin has to offer..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Hi
Yep I use Viewranger on a Samsung Galaxy7 in a Ultimate Addons hard case on a ram mount, with supplementary power from a plugin USB, if you have the screen on for the duration it'll wipe your battery out.
Never had any problems - simple works.

I tried OSMAND and I didn't gel with their user interface so stopped using it.
Cheers
Harvey
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Ive tried using Viewranger, and it is good to find and download other peoples routes but i find that the blue line that you follow is way to thin to see on my iphone, anyone know if there is a way to 'thicken' it up a bit?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

View ranger is great on Android. The only issue I have is that my phone is a business one and it constantly locks.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I'm very interested in this. Tracie has finally managed to drag me into this century by buying me a smart phone. I don't really want it and I don't think I will like it, but it's here now and I have to find a way of getting on with it.

One major plus, IMO, would be the chance to install some GPS software and the Viewranger app looks good. I've done some initial research but I'm a complete smart-phone virgin, so I may need some help with being touched for the very first time.

As I understand it I should download the viewranger app and pay the 5 quid for the premium subscription. Then I can buy a subscription to the French IGN map (17 quid per year) and I'll add Spain just before I go there next.

Is that right? Is that the order to do things in?

I may have many more questions once I try and operate the damn thing....

Return to “TECHNICAL”