Ural's, I think

The Things We Ride
DanielS

Ural's, I think

Post by DanielS »

I'm on holiday in Ukraine again and always find myself looking at the old Ural's (At least that's what I think they are) with the side cars. Maybe they're Dnipr's too?

I'm now sitting here looking at them on the classifieds. Should I even be contemplating this? Don't have the first clue about importing them, how they work, spares, and they'll probably be awful to ride. I'm not put off yet though.

Ignore the balloons, we were walking back from the shops with them for a party.
IMG-20200916-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200916-WA0008.jpg (99.37 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Ural's, I think

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A bloke called Christian James in South Wales was talking about importing one...not sure if he ever did.

I think there's some regulation about lhd outfits that makes it problematic. Also SVA tests (to put an import on the road in the UK) are in short supply these days.
EWR

Post by EWR »

DanielS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm I'm on holiday in Ukraine again and always find myself looking at the old Ural's (At least that's what I think they are) with the side cars.

I'm now sitting here looking at them on the classifieds. Should I even be contemplating this? Don't have the first clue about importing them, how they work, spares, and they'll probably be awful to ride. I'm not put off yet though.

Ignore the balloons, we were walking back from the shops with them for a party.

IMG-20200916-WA0008.jpg
I owned a 'modern' (EFI, discs) UK (l/h) one - the Parade, finished in Military Green. Isn't it nice?

Pluses: lots of storage & bags of character; 'entertaining'; different; everyone wants a photo and a chat.
Negatives: terrifying to ride; it's Russian and everything that that entails (and that's all you need to know really)

My father loved it taking it out but hated the uncertainty of it making it back. It was a scratch that needed itching......caveat emptor

David Angel at F2 Motorcycles is your UK Ural main man (and he's the only one still importing, if at all, I think).
Attachments
P1010753.JPG
P1010753.JPG (244.08 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
P1010751.JPG
P1010751.JPG (228.1 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
Last edited by EWR on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Simpson Mark II

DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks both. I think it's just a holiday romance but am looking at pre 1980s ones anyhow due to no MOT and then, according to that website, wouldn't have any issues with it being the wrong hand drive in the UK.

If nothing else it's filled an evening with daft ideas. Wonder what import duties would be.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

It will be truly awful, mechanically and dynamically. You will be out-dragged by Fiat 500s, but they will be dry and warm while you will be wet and cold.

All the disadvantages of a motorbike and none of the advantages of a car, with the excitement of motorcycling (i.e. 2 wheels) removed.

Buy it only for novelty value, for eccentricity value, and to become a talking point when you park up. There is nothing else.
EWR

Post by EWR »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm It will be truly awful, mechanically and dynamically. You will be out-dragged by Fiat 500s, but they will be dry and warm while you will be wet and cold.

All the disadvantages of a motorbike and none of the advantages of a car, with the excitement of motorcycling (i.e. 2 wheels) removed.

Buy it only for novelty value, for eccentricity value, and to become a talking point when you park up. There is nothing else.
Yep, all true - but any bike will leave you wet and cold if you're so inclined. And on a summer's day, with a picnic (and plenty of tools) in the boot and amiable companion by your side, it can be quite fun - after a fashion. And better on icy roads (preferably right handers) than two wheels...

Like old Land Rover's, and other classic such-and-such, the idea of owning one far outweighs the actual ownership experience but you only realise that once you've taken the plunge - box ticked in my case!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Old Land Rovers...for men whose wives won't let them have a classic British bike?
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm It will be truly awful, mechanically and dynamically. You will be out-dragged by Fiat 500s, but they will be dry and warm while you will be wet and cold.

Don't believe any of that!!🙂 At least not until you've had some tuition followed by a decent test ride, whereupon you can make an informed decision on whether it's for you or not. Ok, I only have half a Ural outfit - the chair - hitched to an old Africa Twin, which I had put together after testing a Ural outfit at Watsonian - I and Mrs vb loved the whole sidecar thing (and like you I've hankered intermittently after one for a long time - it was On Hellas of this site who finally fired-up my purchasing enthusiasm, with his GS/Ural adventures in the Americas). Then we took ours to America and loved it! When folks say it has the disadvantages of a car and none of the advantages of a bike, that's true in a basic, sterile way but they just don't 'get it' - nothing wrong with that but it's only an opinion and quite possibly one not based on experience.
So give it a try.... you may not like it, on the other hand you may love it, it's unique and nothing like riding a bike or trike or driving a car. As for the Ural bike itself, ok it's not modern tech in many respects but is simple to work on - quite a few have done extensive travels/RTW, and they are easy to work on. I would love to have a 2wd Ural - watch them off-roading on YT!
If I could only keep one bike, it would be the outfit!
dave h

Post by dave h »

dave.

Return to “BIKES”