Advice sought

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Hoggyf

Advice sought

Post by Hoggyf »

Might be a long one this but... been riding bikes since my teens, family life kept me away for a while but came back to bikes again about 15yrs ago, beginning with trials and trail riding then also onto road bikes for the last 10yrs, I've always loved the offroad style so its been 800GS and Tiger 800's for the last while (being a short arse dictates the bikes I ride hence the choices made both on road and more so offroad, the big enduro bikes are just too tall for me so I ride a Scorpa T-ride for trail riding).
Here's where we get to the issue, lately when I'm out on the road bike, after say a four hour ride of maybe 120 miles on mostly back roads etc and with a good hour lunch stop my upper back and shoulders are killing and I'm really ready to get home and get off the bike and this is making me not want to go out. I get out usually at least once a fortnight and when I do, the 4hrs 120 mile type ride is typical for me as my hooning days are long gone so its out exploring the quieter roads enjoying the views. If I'm out trail riding the problem doesn't usually occur as its a mix of sitting and standing and this seems to break up the body position.
Bike wise, I currently ride a Tiger 800 (second one) as they suit the style I like and seat height is workable but I'm now thinking they are a little soul less perhaps?? The engine is very smooth and you can basically ride it like a big scooter, anything over 30mph leave it in top gear and it pulls smoothly, I rarely ride over 6000 revs as its not needed (apart from the odd spirited exit from a junction or over take where the need to "nail it" re-appears).

So - the issue above is making me re-consider what I do, I think my long distance touring days are likely to be less and less these days and having a bike that's suited to touring mostly, set up for panniers, big screen etc is over kill. Going out just "for a blat" doesn't really happen these days. I've explored most of the local back roads in a 50 mile radius and I'm not much of a one for having a fave road. So how do I get my mojo back? I still love my trail riding but the time to do it and the lanes available are less and less. I'm even considering a convertible car to get the wind in the hair but be able to travel further, its that bad :mrgreen: Or do I change bike to something like say a Ducati Desert Sled (if I can lower it enough) as I love the style or something similar that has a bit more soul? and just ride the local roads I have (Cumbria, The Dales and Northumbria)
Opinions appreciated as well as pisstaking!! :lol:
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
catcitrus

Re: Advice sought

Post by catcitrus »

I think you should look carefully at the seated riding position--I'm also way over pensionable age but still trail riding and doing long distance when I can. The relationship between the seat , bar reach, bar angle, back position etc. For example I had a triumph Tiger 1050--I did change the bars for a different angle but it still wasn't that comfortable on a long trip. However, I now have an old 98 600 Transalp and its sooo much more comfortable and I can ride that all day. I also have a CB500 and that has a bit more forward lean, and is a little less comfortable but still good. I also have a couple of trail bikes and agree--moving about all the time helps.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Hoggy, unfortunately getting older is not for the faint hearted nor is it an option :lol:

It sounds like you could look to getting different handlebars fitted to your bike in an effort to modify your riding posture or to change your bike for a different style all together. Might depend up on your financial expectations and where you live.

Some of us finding 'bimbling' the lanes gives a different perspective, or you could try a different way of looking at the sport when the countryside opens up a bit more. Have you thought of trials riding or even Long Distance Trials type riding as both are great fun?

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Sounds to me like you are too upright, with arms pulling against the slipstream

Try a Royal Enfield Continental GT or bike with similar riding position that throws weight forward a bit. But not as extreme as a full-on cafe-racer/super-sports.

Once you are doing more than 30, the air takes the weight off your shoulders.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Code: Select all

Have you thought of trials riding or even Long Distance Trials type riding as both are great fun?
I do ride Trials already but that really kills me for 3 days, still love it though, long distance trials I really want to try but there are only a couple a year up this end of the country.
The comments regarding riding position are valid but I'm not sure how I find what suits better, as I said my choice on bike is limited to my leg length, my other half has a CB650F, maybe I should try a day out on that and see what I feel like afterwards, its a little more canted forward and narrower bars.
By the way, I'm only 49!! but have numerous back and neck issues which certainly doesn't help :(
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I find riding the quieter roads on a big bike can often lead to neck and shoulder tension due to constantly holding the bike back.
Do you ride the Beta Alp much?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I'd try to borrow another smaller cc and size bike that's less weight and try that for the 4hrs over a typical for you route..... See how that floats the mojo...

Must agree moving around when trail riding is less stiffness inducing than road riding... I know stop every hour to do stretches, have a brew etc and a little walk about... Enables me to enjoy the bike rides more...

I'll quite happily plod along at 45mph all day...
poldark

Post by poldark »

Get some test rides maybe, to see how your issue reacts to different bike ergos.

I'd suggest certainly giving the Himilayan a go, unless you're very keen to keep the smoothness of a triple. That said I was pleasantly surprised to find the RE very smooth up to circa 60mph.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

poldark wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:12 pm Get some test rides maybe, to see how your issue reacts to different bike ergos.

I'd suggest certainly giving the Himilayan a go, unless you're very keen to keep the smoothness of a triple. That said I was pleasantly surprised to find the RE very smooth up to circa 60mph.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
60mph is a very comfortable cruising speed, don't touch the brakes and hang on round the bends, great fun ........ for a few hours anyway.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I've got a Tiger 800xc and i've repositioned the handlebars by turning the risers through 180°. Have you tried that?
Also what about the seat? Are you using the standard seat or the low seat?
What about lowering dogbones? It won't affect your riding position but it certainly gives the bike a different aspect which i find better on the road.

Return to “THE PUB”