Rambler ???

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
boboneleg

Rambler ???

Post by boboneleg »

Interesting article here, he make some very interesting points. Would you call him a rambler ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... obal-en-GB
one-legged adventurer
Tonibe63

Re: Rambler ???

Post by Tonibe63 »

You got me all excited then Bob, I thought you had discovered an NVT Rambler in a shed.
As to the article ....... I think has a book to sell.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Good article. Sure he's promoting a book, but I have no problem with that. It's an interesting subject, and a total scandal that in the 21st century so much beautiful countryside is privately owned, gated and prohibited, in the hands of so few.

Anyone heard of Tom Davies? He set himself the challenge of walking in a dead straight line west from Birmingham, right across Wales until he reached the sea, trying as hard as possible not to deviate from the straight line. It's impossible legally, and very difficult illegally too! One moment you must swim a river, the next you have to jump over garden fences or trespass on huge private aristocratic estates. The 'right to roam' really doesn't exist in practice.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Yes I saw that article, he makes some good points. Ultimately of course all 'private' land has been 'stolen'.
To make matters worse the current crop of nasty tory f***ers are trying to make trespass a criminal offence rather than the current civil offence...... it makes my blood boil :evil:
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

A good article but the writer forgets to mention the duplicity of the ramblers and their National organisation.

The Ramblers and their horse riding chums want to remove all recreational motorists from the countryside and as such in my experience make extreme efforts in the Peak and Lake Districts to close Byways and UCRs. They don't even want to allow us access to private ground which has given us permission.

Of course I'm neither biased nor bitter :twisted: but I won't be buying his book :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Hugh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm
Of course I'm neither biased nor bitter :twisted: but I won't be buying his book :lol:

Hugh.
No need to buy it, books shouldn't be owned by an elite who charge the rest of us to read them. Just roam into a bookshop pick it up and exercise your "Rights to Read" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 pm Good article. Sure he's promoting a book, but I have no problem with that. It's an interesting subject, and a total scandal that in the 21st century so much beautiful countryside is privately owned, gated and prohibited, in the hands of so few.

Anyone heard of Tom Davies? He set himself the challenge of walking in a dead straight line west from Birmingham, right across Wales until he reached the sea, trying as hard as possible not to deviate from the straight line. It's impossible legally, and very difficult illegally too! One moment you must swim a river, the next you have to jump over garden fences or trespass on huge private aristocratic estates. The 'right to roam' really doesn't exist in practice.
See also Two Degrees West by Nick Crane...did a similar thing on the longest N/S line in Great Britain. Finished up on Brownsea Island in Poole harbour IIRC.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nico-D wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:15 pm Yes I saw that article, he makes some good points. Ultimately of course all 'private' land has been 'stolen'.
To make matters worse the current crop of nasty tory f***ers are trying to make trespass a criminal offence rather than the current civil offence...... it makes my blood boil :evil:

La propriété, c'est le vol!

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 pm Good article. Sure he's promoting a book, but I have no problem with that. It's an interesting subject, and a total scandal that in the 21st century so much beautiful countryside is privately owned, gated and prohibited, in the hands of so few.

Yep the whole countryside thing is a bit of a myth in the UK, I moved to A rural location 5 years ago and you cant go anywhere, its either a private estate or farmland, even the commons are bereft of much besides sheep, nothing is left to grow beyong grass and heather
Cycling is a nightmare.

I can honestly say you have more opportunities for engaging in nature in the parks around and within major cities in the UK, in the countryside as they call it you are either tresspassing or enjoying the wasteland they call pasture. there are a few woodlands but they are just the odd tiny oasis

The Brecon Beacons national Park for instance is a joke, most is privately owned and in the suppossed public areas the loggers and farmers have far more rights than you and me, sickens me.
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Snaf MKII wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:14 pm
Hugh wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Hugh.
No need to buy it, books shouldn't be owned by an elite who charge the rest of us to read them. Just roam into a bookshop pick it up and exercise your "Rights to Read" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Completely missed the point with that comment
...........someone put work into creating a book, who worked to create the planet and thus has rights of ownership to swathes of it? (I don't believe it was some sky-pixie, but it certainly wasn't the people saying they own it today)
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “THE PUB”