Padded shorts

Does my ass look big in these?
DavidS

Padded shorts

Post by DavidS »

At my advanced age but with a racing snake backside, a 100+ mile trail ride on the Husky is becoming a tad painful, even with a mildly repadded seat.

I do have a pair of old padded cycling shorts but the padding isn't really in the right place for a motorcycle seat and they aren’t breathable so an alternative thought is needed. A major Rebuilding of the seat is too expensive to justify and a bit of a risk if it doesn’t work. A strap on pad on the seat is impractical.

Although you lot probably think 100 to 120 miles in a day is just a trip to the shops, has anyone tried these...
https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/erg ... ure-pants/

Or any suggestions for a similar solution?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Re: Padded shorts

Post by daveuprite »

Not sure i could bring myself to buy anything called 'adventure pants'. Especially at £60 for a pair of undercrackers.

Maybe you should go with the strap-on after all....
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

But £250 or so for the seat rebuild makes it sound much better.
I get your point but not keen on the strapped on pad idea as none I’ve seen seem to stay in place very well.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Sorry, David. I was being filthy and your lovely innocent reply makes me feel terrible. I shall thrash myself with birch-twigs and put on my hair shirt.

You buy whatever you think's best matey...
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The rain here dulled my senses.
I struggled in my first post to avoid the strap-on thought but failed on all counts.
Sitting on sheepskin is probably as bad but I’m not in Wales anyway.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

As I have a few bikes I thought I would try some of these rather than change a number of bike seats. I must admit they do make a difference and have been used on a few longer euro trips. They are not as good as a quality seat but significantly cheaper and easily used on multiple bikes. They do feel strange when walking about, similar to walking in cycling shorts, and I wouldn't use them if I was planning to be off the bike a lot. They wash easily and dry quite quickly when on multi-day trips. I would say they extend my riding day by a couple of hundred miles. I don't regret buying them and even bought a second pair to ensure I could wear them every day when on multi week trips. Combine them with a sheep skin and you really do have a comfortable perch for the day. Make sure you choose the correct pad placement for you type of bike though as I believe there are 3 options.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks dubber. A good endorsement. I like the idea that they are specifically shaped for different riding styles so will suit riding the Husky.
What doesn’t help is that 80% of a trail ride day is on the road and most of our lanes are low headroom under trees etc so, at 6’ 3, standing up is very rare for me.
My Triumph seat is plenty comfy so no thought of needing them for that but they would probably still help.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I have had a pair for a while now, they were essential for any distance on the standard CRF saddle. They add at least an extra hours comfort riding to a day, you feel like you've had a poo & the Mrs calls them my Beyonce pants but hey ho.

I tried cycling shorts but they just don't work on a motorcycle. They are expensive but they wear & wash well & likely will still have them in a decade
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks for most of the posts. ;) :D
I have ordered a pair.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have padded cycling "longs" (much better than shorts as they don't ride up and prevent boot chaffing)-- and they work well under normal goretex lined trousers---they may not have super wide padding but enough to make a real difference--and cheap enough from Lidl or similar. Alternatively try an airhawk seat--I use that on really long trips where you are doing 300 miles plus day after day.

Return to “CLOTHING”