Power Monkey Solar charger

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Tyrant68

Re: Power Monkey Solar charger

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks for all the replies.
Maybe not the way to go for the UK then :laugh:
The wind charger looks good.
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
f2uk

Post by f2uk »

Not gone solar but i have got one of these chargers

Has worked for my iPhone and iPad and charges up from usb. Has plenty of connections for other gadgets.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

f2uk wrote:Not gone solar but i have got one of these chargers

Has worked for my iPhone and iPad and charges up from usb. Has plenty of connections for other gadgets.
But the charger still needs to be connected to a power source , the laptop.
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
f2uk

Post by f2uk »

Once it is charged it's good for about 4 refills of the iPhone.

It's charged via usb, but that can be via a cigarette lighter adapter (that I have wired in in my back box)

I can see it easily lasting a weekend, if it runs out throw it in the backbox (or under seat depending on where/if you have a aux socket wired in) when you are on a ride out to charge up again.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

My one charges from laptop,computer or 12 usb cigerette lighter attachment , have charged it on the move on the bike.

But the one I have lasts long time as large battery inside . good for at least a long weekend of charging phone, ipod etc before needing charged.

I like the look of the wind charger , but when I have a power source i.e ass socket on the bike , then charging the power pack is easy . but does take 6 hours to full charge from empty.

But has 2 outputs so I can charge my phone and ipod at the same time, excellent

Does the job for what I need it for , i.e I am not going on any huge trips at the moment.

LWR
sparks

Post by sparks »

LargeWayRound wrote:I bought one of these porta pow premium things , not solar but nice piece of kit .

[ebay]260849287826[/ebay]
another vote for this
i charged 3 peoples phones up at the midlands simmer with mine

adam
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

No

But what I do have is one of these

Use a 1.5Kw inverter in my council lock-up to give me lighting and power tools.
I then made a trolly that the car battery sits on and wheel it back to the shed for recharging...vola free power in my lock-up ;)
Selous

Post by Selous »

backofbeyond wrote:
Jelly wrote:No but I have one of these..........

and its about as much use as an asthmatic with a collapsed lung playing a plastic harmonica.
On your Amazon link there's a great review from someone who's checked out the spec of the Freeloader with a multimeter and found that, by and large, it does what it claims to do. Unfortunately that's not much and to get any sort of usable power generation it needs to be in continuous direct sunlight - something in short supply in the UK. That's been my experience with a number of solar chargers over the last 20yrs or so, exposed to normal UK daylight they are not much use and even in southern europe they are marginal.

I suspect it's probably more me than the technology though as there seems to be loads of solar panels appearing on bus shelters and traffic signs over recent years, so someone must be getting them to work. I probably just need to buy a bigger one but they can be a bit pricey and I'm a bit wary about throwing good money after bad after my previous experience of them.
My understanding from a mate who fits Solar panels is, the panels & other bits used are more absorbent to sunlight in uk than in some other country's, that is about as much as I understood.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”