daveuprite

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by daveuprite »

boboneleg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm IMG_6761.JPEG
What a shot! Fantastic.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

In preparation to use the 700 properly off road I’m looking to order tyres, tubes and rim locks.
What size rim lock works on the fat 4” rear rim? I’m struggling to find anything bigger than 2.5”.
Also, I‘ve always run HD tubes in my old AT but I’m considering the Michelin Ultra HD for the Tenere. Any thoughts?
I will be hammering out some motorway miles and I seem to to recall reports of the thick 4mm tubes over heating at continuous high speeds?
I assume this won’t be an issue in a UK climate if running at correct road pressures.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

You won't need rim locks, and you won't overheat HD tubes (the myth of overheating is just that)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

rear rim is a ridiclouse choice for a 70hp bike limits tyre choices and although its a tubed rim ..it would be possibly better to fit a tubless tyre anyway ..i know one lad whos running a 140 tyre and its ok but has to keep pressures up ...
i opted to go tubless tyre and tubless system i do me own but outex make kits at around a100 quid to wrap the tyres ...i use 3m stuff and run stans sealants to self seal punctures ive opted for 22/24 one pressure does all i dont believe that with a tubless tyre rim locks will be needed ..i add in a tpsm monitor and set the alarm at 18 psi ...for the tenere for a longer road trip ide go summet like 32 32 but i dont do many ..maby ill get a more suitable rim put on later ...150 tyres may look rufty tufty but ill get a better choice and more grip from a smaller rim
you will notive the o/e tyres are tubeless running tubes
ill see how the mop flops and take it from there

these were sealed waiting to be taped ...ran ok on the test run ..i like the tpsm even with tubed tyres its a good safty device as imas guilty as anyone for not checking pressures everyfday
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Cheers for the advice chaps 👍
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

boboneleg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm Let's talk exhaust silencers, what have you fitted to yours, are you happy with it ?

I want to replace my o/e silencer before the inevitable happens and I dent it :mrgreen:

I really like the SC Project but it's a bit pricey for me........

sc-projet-y28-121t-schalld_mpfer-auspuff-exhaust-silencer-yamaha-tenere700-rally-raid-1.jpg
i cheaped out as i know its gonna get screatched and dented or worse 229 off ebay dominator ..quite surprised how the quality turned out nice noise without being daft ,,,
topped off with a akro sticker off ebay ... it is true to say it gives the bike a little lift i throttle resonce ..no really it is a bit more brappy with it on for the money ive no complaints at all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenere-700-E ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKRAPOVIC-3D ... 2749.l2649 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 pm

i cheaped out as i know its gonna get screatched and dented or worse 229 off ebay dominator ..quite surprised how the quality turned out nice noise without being daft ,,,
topped off with a akro sticker off ebay ... it is true to say it gives the bike a little lift i throttle resonce ..no really it is a bit more brappy with it on for the money ive no complaints at all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenere-700-E ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKRAPOVIC-3D ... 2749.l2649 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is it very loud Steve ? I don't want anything that's too loud.
one-legged adventurer
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

no bob in that regard its spot on nice brap on acceleration and on the blip but nice and quiet on a even throttle ...baffle would come out but ive no intention ..i think its about just right in the noise dept
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:21 pm rear rim is a ridiclouse choice for a 70hp bike limits tyre choices and although its a tubed rim ..it would be possibly better to fit a tubless tyre anyway ..i know one lad whos running a 140 tyre and its ok but has to keep pressures up ...
i opted to go tubless tyre and tubless system i do me own but outex make kits at around a100 quid to wrap the tyres ...i use 3m stuff and run stans sealants to self seal punctures ive opted for 22/24 one pressure does all i dont believe that with a tubless tyre rim locks will be needed ..i add in a tpsm monitor and set the alarm at 18 psi ...for the tenere for a longer road trip ide go summet like 32 32 but i dont do many ..maby ill get a more suitable rim put on later ...150 tyres may look rufty tufty but ill get a better choice and more grip from a smaller rim
you will notive the o/e tyres are tubeless running tubes
ill see how the mop flops and take it from there

these were sealed waiting to be taped ...ran ok on the test run ..i like the tpsm even with tubed tyres its a good safty device as imas guilty as anyone for not checking pressures everyfday
Hi ya steve, what tyres are those then, have you used them in the dirt yet ?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

little bit test run was in filthy conditions #should have bought a jetski

always going to be a tough choice on a big bike with silly rear rims ..i usually default to the e09s which are err 60quid cheaper and a good adv tyre for me on the rear ..the front less so

..i just wanted to try these motaz rall z tyres that have been hyped a bit ,,brand new on the wet roads they seemed to grip and track well with the front feeling quick to tip given the conditions they were good . i did a few emergency stops and they did pretty well on the wet road taking a fair handful to bring in the abs so they deffo stop well inn the rain
.a very slight noise but nowt bad .on a dry road they will be good i reakon

on the gravel and cart tracks they were fine ...taking it dowm the test route i have the rear was pretty good in slippy sand streaks and the front was warning me of a yellow card
turning on soft ground the front was pushed a little to easy but did hold and fair warning given but the rear given what it is was acceptable in pretty muddy going think plowed feild and bad rain ......i rant the feild in third at around 25.30 mph and to be fair the rear drove quite well and i think did clear a bit better as i could spin it .. while the front was skiing a bit ...err a lot ..it deffo a straight line marginal tyre in mud but it held on and did warn of a red card ..so for the odd muddy snotty things you might come accross i think the rear will deal with it .. and id be vey wary of adverse cambers on both but especially the front but again it was a pretty slippy old feild with a lot of sunken tractor track which it rode over in all directions .the o/e tyre would have got about one bike length i reakon

so given i wanted some road manners and some half decent grip off road they got a 8 for the road and a 8 for carty tracky and a5 for the slippy stuff ..where as the o/e pirrelis would get a 10 6 and a zero :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

initial thoughts is the rear seems pretty acceptable is it better than a e09 ? ..maby a little on the mud but the 09s are very good on slippy rocks and i havnt done owt yet on the new one .
...if they are ok id say the only reason id fit another is if they live up to the hype over milage

if i get 4k like some of the 1290 boys are claiming id be very happy .. more than that id be extatick ...the front im less sure of already ..but ill give it time it is after all a adventure tyre and it kept me upright and did slide and warn and regrip in some horrible shit ..
..the rear was pretty acceptable for the class of tyre i think ..

all in all not bad for a first time out ..i have a pretty good idea where i will take it and all the daft stuff ill leave to the mighty crf with proper tyres on ..but as a travel tyre 50/50 id say they may be worth the entrance if they last a good long time ..for more extream going of full on full time trail tyre theres got to be better but with the usual tarmack payback

they both look clogged but the rear was ok to be fair what its lijke with half tread life is a onother story maby ? theres nowt new about adv tyres and soft ground but i think the rear did ok ..irony is me crf 300 would spank the tenere on slippy stuff so light and nimble and no concerns about tyres lasting .... its horses for courses but im really liking the tenere ..the chassis showed up well and that helped a lot when it got slidy it was all over the place without feeling out of control ..entertaining .....till its not :?: :D :D

same old same old a tyre that copes with 120mph and claggy mud has yet to be made ..thats the one thing the big adventure bikes have a big disadvatage over the little one s

we all know you cant have yer cake and eat it too 8-)

Return to “BIKES”