Weathers nice outwest- Applecross anyone?

Where you've been and what you done
DavidS

Re: Weathers nice outwest- Applecross anyone?

Post by DavidS »

Simonw...wash your mouth out! ;) :lol:

We had a week in a cottage down the road in Camusterrach, opposite the ‘harbour’ back in the 90’s. Absolutely loved it up there.
Fantastic roads in my VW Corrado and loads of practice on the pass, as you can imagine.

First day there we got half way up and found a massively loaded Volvo blocking the road and with it’s rear wheel in a drain.
As we were starting to unload it, luckily a Ranger’s Landy came the other way and the handy winch pulled him out nicely, otherwise we might have been there for some time.

Great food in the pub and I gather the fuel pumps are run by the village now otherwise it’s not a place to be low on petrol.

A side comment. Best village sign....Stromeferry (no ferry).
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Why do so many people want to go to applecross? There are a hundred other more interesting places in Scotland which are more fun to get to but Applecross always gets mentioned. It's like the Benidorm of so called adv rider trips :lol:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

When you are probably as far away from Applecross as you can get on the mainland, it has an attraction.
Anyway, I went before it’s current fame so that makes me a classy trendsetter, not a follower. :lol:
Looking forward to a lazy tour of Scotland soon but I think I might wait for Krankie to disappear first.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I think it's like a lot of places if it's not around you then it's different I live 310 miles away and it was my first big ride after passing my test and I enjoyed it.i wouldn't rush back now I've done it. Its horses for courses I heard great things about the horseshoe pass rode all the way the for a long u shaped bend and was disappointed.there are lots of roads around were I live that people rave about and mention that have been in the abr great rides that I personally think are not that special and I avoid like the plague because I've over driven/ridden but I get why people seek out these places and I am indeed 1 of them.
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

IMO, the ride up from Strathcarron is amazing due to the cliffs on the opposite side of the valley. The views on a good day over the sea to Skye are stupendous. The views over to Skye on the coast road from Torridon is amazing. Otherwise it is a bit like the Stelvio, there to be ticked, and enjoyed the first time, the second etc lets you enjoy the scenery.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Mike54 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 pm Why do so many people want to go to applecross? There are a hundred other more interesting places in Scotland which are more fun to get to but Applecross always gets mentioned. It's like the Benidorm of so called adv rider trips :lol:
As said - its the places you go through to get there & it is a great spot to wild camp & fish, with the river running into the sea at the north end. The wee road hugging the coast running North from Applecross is lovely with stunning views across to Skye.. Have to admit if i turned up and it was busy with other campers I would probably move on and find somewhere quieter - which is not a problem in Scotland.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”