Rider or Multibike Policies?

Bikers and riding
Billy Bananahead

Re: Rider or Multibike Policies?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I used Bikesure for a few years then got pissed off with them as the price kept going up, then used Aviva until they no longer did multibike policies and only insured each individual bike, then last year went to Carole Nash who do a multibike policy using Aviva as the underwriters. :?
What a bloody game ain't it, licence to print money, blah blah blah....
Anyway, i've got 3 bikes and i'm seriously considering using 1 bike per year on a rota when the insurance is due for renewal.
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

I am insured with Bennett’s and at the beginning of last year I had 3 bikes on my policy which cost me £600. 6 months into the policy I reduced that to 2 bike and got £65 back. Now my policy is up for renewal and I’m now down to just one bike and they want £325. That is not acceptable so I am going to have to shop around.
Anyone got any recommendations before I go waste half a day on the computer.
Cheers Steve
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm I used Bikesure for a few years then got pissed off with them as the price kept going up, then used Aviva until they no longer did multibike policies and only insured each individual bike, then last year went to Carole Nash who do a multibike policy using Aviva as the underwriters. :?
What a bloody game ain't it, licence to print money, blah blah blah....
Anyway, i've got 3 bikes and i'm seriously considering using 1 bike per year on a rota when the insurance is due for renewal.
It is the cover for theft which needs considering on the two bikes you are not using. You can guarantee some scrote will have them away as soon as your insurance cover lapses.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

frenchy3 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:35 pm It is the cover for theft which needs considering on the two bikes you are not using. You can guarantee some scrote will have them away as soon as your insurance cover lapses.
Thanks for the tip.
StevieC

Post by StevieC »

Last year my multi-bike policy seemed very high with approx. 25% increase!!

I shopped around and couldn't really get a much lower premium.
I thought I may as well get 2 seperate policies and build up a NCD on the cheaper bike.

Guess what?? Yep, doing it that way turned out to be cheaper. :roll: :roll:

i.e. the cost of the existing policy with full NCD and a new, seperate policy with zero NCD totalled less than any multi-bike policy I could find.

Go on - Give it a go :) ;)

Steve
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I'm with CN and underwritten by AVIVA (whom I rate)---I have a 6 wheel policy---all fully comp--van and 4 bikes for about 450 quid--I have maximum NCD.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I have a multi bike policy with Bennets for the CBF1000, XT1200Z and XT660Z.
From memory it costs about £300/year.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

rockdodger wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm Anyone got any recommendations before I go waste half a day on the computer.
I look at the MCN comparison site to see what's available, granted have to fill in the details of who you are etc etc, but at least you can see the options. Be prepared for lots of "helpful" e-mails from them afterwards :roll:
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I generally use MCN if I am looking at a possible modern on a separate policy, but have not actually ended up buying a modern!
I always keep their latest email as once you have filled in your details you only have to change the machine and dates for a new set of quotes.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

StevieC wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm Last year my multi-bike policy seemed very high with approx. 25% increase!!

I shopped around and couldn't really get a much lower premium.
I thought I may as well get 2 seperate policies and build up a NCD on the cheaper bike.

Guess what?? Yep, doing it that way turned out to be cheaper. :roll: :roll:

i.e. the cost of the existing policy with full NCD and a new, seperate policy with zero NCD totalled less than any multi-bike policy I could find.

Go on - Give it a go :) ;)

Steve
I have two bikes with seperate insurance policies and it does work out cheaper. I started off with zero NCD on my CZ175 but as it is worth next to nothing i can tailor the policy to have a high voluntary excess as i would never claim on the policy for such a low value bike.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”