sorn

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Re: sorn

Post by Dark Knight »

I have got two of my bikes taxed, hoping to get out on them in May.
Presently installing some modifications.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

What kinda mods are you carrying out me wonders....? Just curious as I enjoy the odd mod myself.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
StevieC

Post by StevieC »

dave h wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:06 am having just taxed my bike at beguining of march for the comming season,
i now just made a sorn,
ahh well i got a month.

dave.
I was considering "SORNing" my bikes.
I was reluctant as I always thought that the bike insurance was only valid if the bike was taxed and had a current MOT.
When Boris announced, "All cars, vans and motorcycles will be exempted from needing a test from March 30."
I wondered how the insurance companies would feel about this 6-month exemption if a settlement was needed after a claim, as one of my bike is due it's 1st MOT at the end of May.
Surely, they would have to honour it even though my policy states "You shall maintain your motorcycle in a suitable operating condition and meeting standards for safe riding, which will include a valid MOT certificate where required by law".
The "required by law" in this case will be referring to bikes that are tax and MOT exempt due to their age.

So, I thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone and email my insurance company.
This is the impressively quick response to yesterday’s email.

Good afternoon,

If you SORN the vehicles, you would need to cancel the insurance as MCE do not cover SORN vehicles. With regards to the MOT, MCE are working with the government guidelines, so providing your bike is in a roadworthy condition, any claims that may be made, will still be valid and the insurance policy would continue as normal.

Hope this answers your questions, any queries, let us know.

Keep safe.

Kind Regards,

Customer Action Team Mailbox

So I would say DO NOT SORN your vehicle in case it gets stolen!!

Cheers

Steve
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ha colluding bastards.... I pay by direct debit and well can't be assed cancelling as I may need a emergency form of transport like I did when my car blew its turbo in middle of cold spell...

Is it really worth it for a couple of months... And I'm from Lancashire so a tight ass northerner.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”