How to coach motorcycle riding :)

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
dibbs

Re: How to coach motorcycle riding :)

Post by dibbs »

Misti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 pm Hey Everyone,

I'm a riding coach with the California Superbike School (world wide for the past 15 years) and a Moto-journalist (masterclass columnist for Adventure Bike Rider Magazine). Wanted to offer myself to be available to answer any of your riding technique questions you may have. If you want to know more about trail braking, or good throttle control, picking reference points or navigating switchbacks, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions. No riding for most of us right now so the next best thing is talking about motorcycle riding! :)

Come on then Misti!!! you are teasing us with your offer of wisdom and turning us all into riding gods, were on the edge of our seats waiting for the holy grail!! (well at least i am lol...)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

One post from the OP and that's it???? :?:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am One post from the OP and that's it???? :?:
Is he a Black top rider, whilst the interest / responses have all come from Dirt bike riders?
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

mechanic wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 am
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am One post from the OP and that's it???? :?:
Is he a Black top rider, whilst the interest / responses have all come from Dirt bike riders?
Is he not she?

Not that it makes any difference, but nice to be correct....
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

Link to her intro: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49849
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Misti. Male or female, can’t tell these days and as said. Makes no difference.
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Post 2.

I think JB put her right off.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

this topic seems to have gone a bit foggy.
Misti

Post by Misti »

ACK!!! Sorry y'all. Hahaha been thrust into a life of having to home school my two kids (Age 8/10) and work from home and that in itself is like 10 full time jobs so I'm a little behind. Life has been drastically altered for many of us and I wasn't expecting such an awesome response!!

I'm going to go through and answer each of the questions as I can!

First of all I want to clarify that my expertise (so to say) would be more in regards to track riding/sportbike riding and racing than dirt riding. I've been coaching with CSS for 15 years and had about 5 years of club/amateur and pro racing on track as well. That being said, I've done some dirt riding in trails, some motocross, some flat track and have taken an enduro course so I have a bit (but much less) experience in that zone as well.

One of the things that has helped me the most when riding ruts while cornering on a dirt bike is to drag a little bit of front brake while going in to keep the front wheel in the rut. If you try and come off the front brake too soon the front can pop out of the rut. I've been working on this one a lot at the motocross track. Vision and looking through the turn really helps and then for water/mud etc- looking ahead and smooth throttle works well. Too much gas and you can fishtail and slide, too little and you can sink into the mud/get stuck. Again, the enduro/dirt/trail riding isn't so much my expertise so I feel more comfortable answering the road/touring questions but I'll do my best :)
Misti

Post by Misti »

dibbs wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 am Hi Misti
I read your article in the ABR magazine, and found it very interesting. A couple of years ago whilst riding in the Pyrenees, I thought I had it nailed as we were riding uphill round the switchbacks at what I thought was a good pace!, when a stream of foreign (possibly German, Swiss or Austrian) bikers went past us two up like we were standing still!!! So some tips please on how to navigate these corners and not ride like a snail! :lol:
Thanks

Oh and thanks for your offer to help all us mere mortals and plodders!
Thanks!!! On March 1st I actually submitted an article called NAVIGATING SWITCHBACKS for Adventure Bike Rider so you will just have to stay tuned for reading that one as soon as it comes out :). I think there is a delay with the issues because the entire world is on hold right now. Hopefully you find some good information in that article that will help you out! In the mean time I'll try and answer some of the other questions and can for sure touch on good technique that will help in all sorts of different cornering situations!

Return to “HOW TO..........”