covid dystopia

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: covid dystopia

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:57 pm Pull yourself together, chaps!

yep .. beat you to it Mr Simpson Mark 11 … went for `my last ride ever` yesterday, on my own isolated and very aged self, to the lovely Elan Valley.

I was furious at the prospect of being told to do more cabin fever .. for months … ffs. I only just come out of all that … need fresh air and some good bike miles under my belt. …

instead of my usual pootling speed of 50-60 mph , I was doing 80-90 mph .. rage rage n stuff. Even racing youngsters on bikes over dsm.

Didnt feel any better afterwards but had to be done.

o look out,, incoming .. you shouldn't be so publicly irresponsible as to speed and snot at the same time.... ffs :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

no idea if this is correct … but ..
sounds encouraging ..

😎
-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Ritonavirr, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.
- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Centre claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,
- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

My own feeling is that 'self isolation' and 'social distancing' is not the same 'as lock yourself in the spare bedroom' at least as long as you don't actually have symptoms of the virus, but just want to keep out of harms way. If you go for a solo bike ride and stop in a layby with a flask and a butty instead of going to the 'owls nest' or 'west end cafe' then I don't see how that puts anyone at any risk. If you don't want to stop for fuel carry a spare can. If you actually have the virus then obviously it's different. It's all about managing risk.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

steve the grease wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am My own feeling is that 'self isolation' and 'social distancing' is not the same 'as lock yourself in the spare bedroom' at least as long as you don't actually have symptoms of the virus, but just want to keep out of harms way. If you go for a solo bike ride and stop in a layby with a flask and a butty instead of going to the 'owls nest' or 'west end cafe' then I don't see how that puts anyone at any risk. If you don't want to stop for fuel carry a spare can. If you actually have the virus then obviously it's different. It's all about managing risk.

I agree 100% with you Steve.
As it happens the behaviour you describe, in the 3 aspects, I have been doing myself for 3 years and more. Taking a flask on rides etc .. though mostly because I tend to be a bit antisocial and also to help pay for 2 bikes, a long financial struggle.

I must admit I do get the 3 advice mixed up, and have tended to think it all means locking myself in my little flat, which I been doing anyway since last year, due to weather. .. so my rage at being told to do more, when I am perfectly well.

Recently, having paid for one of my bikes ( and then swapped it for an Ebike lol ) I got more money and have been trying to make an effort to be more social.
Only to be told that I am now a yahoo hooligan menace for doing so! .. doh

Confession time : .. When I went on my recent solo ride to Elan Valley .. I .. er .. I .. ah .. stopped off at West End Café :o

yup … its true .. and I admit it :evil:

Further more ... I sat down at a public table (outside in the fresh air, in mitigation) .. asking the elderly lady if ok first .. then 2 elderly bikers joined us .. one 70, one 74 and me 71.5 (the .5 is important, apparently, as `nearly 72` is much older)
None of us gave a shit, and talked openly to each other , though at one point, after the others bragged about their flu jabs, when I proudly stated that `I never 'ad one in me life`, they did sit up a bit more uprightly in indignation and disapproval :shock:

My personal view .. which does not seem to be mainstream .. is that the news media in particular, and government, have a lot to answer for in spreading panic, where they admit the risk is actually minimal to healthy people under 70.

My personal view .. disagreed by most .. is to isolate the aged and vulnerable, and bring the epidemic to a quicker end by letting life roll on as before, giving resistance to those most able to gain it, through a stronger immune system.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

However, yesterday, after I had done a humanitarian shop for my daughter, AND paid for it £55 .. I got a gentle dressing down.

SHe said .. yes, it is a very low risk .. just the chronically ill and elderly .. but that small percentage ……. is my mother :shock: :?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well .. its getting worse (hysteria panic) here at the retirement flats.

I just had a phone call off one of my few (platonic) lady friends that live here.

Yesterday an official of the housing association came here to put up notices saying `no outside visitors` .. sounds reasonable, but there are many carers, welfare, deliveries, close family etc that need access. The guy was on his high horse saying that my friend, a carer for her blind mother, here, could not sit in the common lounge. I approached the official in defence of the carer, and he backed down off his high horse and said it was `discretionary` and would not be enforced, (sitting in the lounge).

Today my other lady friend, a close friend of the carer, was verbally attacked and threatened and told to `get out of the room`, even though she is a resident. … the `man` doing the verbal was shouting in her face and clenching his fists and teeth. She is not sure to phone the police or not. I told her to wait and think of the consequences, but do so if she thought it would lessen the future agro.

Another` lady` (old viper witch) ripped the official notices off the walls, in objection to the carer sitting in the lounge, spitting venom as she did.

Trouble is neither the police or the housing association will do anything about it.

Things will only get worse.

Can't wait for the next dry bike day. 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

perhaps there should be dogs in charge .. (not pigs) …

they clever :shock: ..

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

10 reasons not to panic

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... ysN7aDTd7o

Personally, I am not panicking … just very annoyed at peoples over-reaction
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

My honest opinion is that the virus situation will diminish when summer comes and end by the end of summer

1. Most people will by then have antibodies
2. The vulnerable are being quite well protected
3. If the virus mutated, it usually gets weaker, and may well be less transmittable
4. Virus does not like sun and warmth
5. Virus cannot survive much over 26*c
6. Antibodies will provide a people wall block to spread
7. Bikers say so
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

https://www.investing.com/news/economy/ ... ce-2115231

there was a vid on youtube reportedly showing looting already happening, but it's been pulled.

Return to “THE PUB”