Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Tonibe63 »

Asgard wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm I think its a bit like the boy who cried wolf, we've had the apocalypse predicted so many times we don't take it seriously any more.
IMO This one is serious not apocalyptic I hope but very very bad

I agree.
We are flooded with tea time news of death every day to the point that it is just a story that doesn't affect us so we cannot empathise with the victims but for those who lose loved one's it is the ultimate apocalypse.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Sorry.... But there are more deaths from suicide than a snivling bug....

My TV is turned off as I'm sick of the crap spouted.... Life will go on.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

byewayrider wrote:Sorry.... Life will go on.
But not normal life for a good few months
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:10 am Sorry.... But there are more deaths from suicide than a snivling bug....

My TV is turned off as I'm sick of the crap spouted.... Life will go on.

more ex military people are killing themselves on a daily basis than are dying from this virus in this country, why is that not in the press.......

Hayfever season is upon us should someone with early onset self isolate ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 pm
Asgard wrote:I sound like a doom monger but would rather be made a joke of than just shut up about this.

Lancet report

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2930567-5

From the horses mouth in Italy:

1/ I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of. #COVID19 #coronavirus

2/ This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

4/ I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activitieswere interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

5/ All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

8/ The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

10/ the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

12/ Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

15/ Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

16/ There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

17/ Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

18/ We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy."

20/ I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?

19/ Full post here, you can DeepL:
«Con le nostre azioni influenziamo la vita e la morte di molte persone»
Con un lungo post su Facebook, il dottor Daniele Macchini, medico dell’Humanitas Gavazzeni, racconta la sua vita in prima linea per contrastare il coronavirus. È una testimonianza da brividi, da legg…
https://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/ber ... 344030_11/

Based on the worldometer today Italy has 7,478 cases and the UK has 321.

So using even a 1.15 factor, what is the difference between Italy and the UK?

22 days.
That is scary

Time to Pray
to whom will you pray ?

cheers Spud ;)

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

perhaps a sense of perspective is needed.
I look at the actual number of deaths.
Literally a handful so far in the UK.
How many cases of colds, flu, pneumonia, etc etc etc
probably millions not thousands, mostly non fatal.
not to mention the other fatal stuff already mentioned on here.

The most at risk are men, old codgers like me.
The young are relatively safe, and so are most women.
Only one percent is quoted by dr whitty as fatal in old men mostly.
We had our life, mates.
And when old people go into hospital, the wonderful nhs will put the bad cases to sleep,
as they have always done.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

garyboy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45 pm I keep trying to think of the REAL reason behind this global scaremongering ???

.. a universal smoke screen for all participating countries, to be applied as and when, to whatever?

It's a Chinese communist atheist plot to kill the pope :shock: :o :?

or

simply the Chinese have been slagged off in the past due to "not doing enough" ie SARS.... so now they have locked down the country and all the rest have to follow suit or look bad.
Lot's of travelling over the new year for the Chinese.

cheers Spud ;)

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Redmurty wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 am
garyboy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45 pm I keep trying to think of the REAL reason behind this global scaremongering ???

.. a universal smoke screen for all participating countries, to be applied as and when, to whatever?

or

simply the Chinese have been slagged off in the past due to "not doing enough" ie SARS.... so now they have locked down the country and all the rest have to follow suit or look bad.

cheers Spud ;)

I think there is a lot of truth in that.

China is the factory of the world.
There is a lot of global stuff going on atm, like trade wars, proxy wars, fight for dominance and world influence.
China needs to assert itself to its own people, cf Hong Kong, dissidents, free speech etc etc ..
but they are very aware that the world is watching
and that could affect trade .. their great power item.

so .. as above.. they need to be seen to be doing something.

.. and the rest follow for the same reason.
All politics, my friends.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Our Daughter is currently on maternity leave with an 8 month old daughter and not due to return to work (as an intensive care nurse) until June but she has been notified that she may be called back at any time. Needless to say we are very concerned about it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:01 am
Redmurty wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 am

or

cheers Spud ;)

I think there is a lot of truth in that.

China is the factory of the world.
There is a lot of global stuff going on atm, like trade wars, proxy wars, fight for dominance and world influence.
China needs to assert itself to its own people, cf Hong Kong, dissidents, free speech etc etc ..
but they are very aware that the world is watching
and that could affect trade .. their great power item.

so .. as above.. they need to be seen to be doing something.

.. and the rest follow for the same reason.
All politics, my friends.
It used to be that if the States sneezed we caught a cold now it appears if the Chinese sneeze everyone shits themselves and panic buys bog roll. :shock: :roll:

It may wake the west up to the fact that we should start to look at manufacturing in the west rather than making everything in China.

cheers Spud ;)

Return to “THE PUB”