Adventure boot review

Does my ass look big in these?
petecam

Re: Adventure boot review

Post by petecam »

I speak as I find.

Bought a pair of SIDI Adventure’s in 2004, my previous Alpine Star MX boots were good but not very waterproof.

The Sidi’s were not cheap even with my dealer discount, but since 2004 I have used them for all my green laning duties and several tours around mainland Europe. Sun, wind, rain, river crossings and mud they have remained comfortable and dry.

They are still looking in good condition although they probably need a clean ;-0
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I have a pair of Alpinestars Toucan boots. The waterproofing is by GoreTex which means that the GoreTex company will guarantee them for life. If they stop being waterproof, GoreTex will replace them.

I bought a size up from what I normally buy to give me room for thick socks... kind of wish that I hadn't as they are a bit looser than I would like.

If you're a size 12 and would like a nearly-new (worn no more than a dozen times) pair of £300 boots for £200, let me know!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

I’m a 48
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Gaerne and Sidi with Gortex membrane. Both have served me very well over the years. Just had a pair of sidi adventure boots resoled by the UK agent. £175 expensive, but they feel like slippers when wearing them, still waterproof after 5 years. Done 1000s miles touring in all sorts of weather. Top boot.
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

Alpinestars Belize (3/4 boot) for nearly three years now of commuting and touring (mostly on road) still 100% waterproof .
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Flipflop wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:00 pmI’m a 48

That's a shame: I've just checked and the Euro size on mine is 47.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

I've always used Gaerne boots. I have 2 pairs of Balance Oiled Boots and 1 pair of SG10s or 12s, can't remember.

These boots are resoleable. I've had one pair of the Balance boots resoled. Soles cost me £30 from an on-line bike shop and my local cobbler charged me £20 making a virtually new pair of boots for £50 instead of buying new for £200ish.

Gaerne are still, I think, made in Italy.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Perhaps when referencing age/miles etc it would be good to say what use you put the boots to road, adv, full on rut dragging and honesty about maintenance, keep the good info coming through. For those like myself struggling with cold feet and buying big boots for thick socks etc, try layering with Pantherella Merino Wool socks 2 even 3 pairs far less bulk, not the cheapest but I find them effective as they are a thin weave. For Minky only one leg was broke, pics a bit misleading, unplanned/unexpected drop off on an orange 450, landed flat bottomed out leg busted on peg upon landing, pain not that bad at the time. Not so later in A and E just paracetamol and Nurses attempting to pull off boot without undoing drawstring remember them, mate came to the rescue he could'nt be doing with the screaming I remember nothing of it.That night first doc wanted me to loose a bit of weight and save on socks, after a bad day I got lucky on the next and a very good surgeon toke me on, still limits me today and dont ride "Welsh style" trailriding anymore . If my MX boots cant keep my feet warm enough in wet/cold conditions I rather stay off proper dirt riding and wait till the weather warms so it be Ok with them, rather than risk further injury. Say Hello to lucky Gary of the ABC rode with him a little pre ABC, Paul with the 640.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

OB1 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:12 pm
Flipflop wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:00 pmI’m a 48

That's a shame: I've just checked and the Euro size on mine is 47.
Yes shame, thanks anyway.
I use my boots for everyday riding all year round and longish holidays which usually includes some fire roads/easy trails. I really look after them well with regular cleaning and re-proofing with Ledergris or similar.
I use my non waterproof Sidis for trail riding - although not doing much of that at the moment - but I would prefer it if the soles weren't worn so smooth.
I have looked at Gaerne but they offer no ankle protection and the front of the sole looks too flexible for me.
I do like the look of the Toucans but still the Daytona’s are the front runners.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

Have been using Sidi Adventures since 2015, mainly road riding but all through the year. Last year one boot started leaking so sent them back to Goretex and they replaced them with the current later model. The new ones are a bit chunkier than before but still comfy enough.
I also suffer from cold feet so use heated insoles and normally fit/make some sort of wind deflector lower down to reduce windchill.

Return to “CLOTHING”