Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by garyboy »

I keep trying to think of the REAL reason behind this global scaremongering ???

.. a universal smoke screen for all participating countries, to be applied as and when, to whatever?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

People have started panic buying laxatives...they don't know what else to do to get rid of al the loo paper they bought last weekend.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

garyboy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45 pm I keep trying to think of the REAL reason behind this global scaremongering ???

.. a universal smoke screen for all participating countries, to be applied as and when, to whatever?
...yes, maybe the UK government will or could use this as a reason to bury the HS2 project and save face at the same time? By diverting funds from HS2 to the NHS then that would be a hard one for anyone to argue against (in these media hyped circumstances). No doubt other countries will have there own stuff that could be buried as well...just a thought...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:15 pm Basically our house now has a full blown Pan's People Epic Bell-Endemic, and we are truly doomed.
I quite fancy a Pan's People epidemic.......Ah, the fond memories of Cherry Gillespie & friends.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

On the radio today it stated people are stockpiling tonic water, as someone recons the quinine fights of the coronavirus. Personally I’d rather stockpile it to go with the gin
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

garyboy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45 pm I keep trying to think of the REAL reason behind this global scaremongering ???

Climate change? emissions targets? overpopulation for resources? excuse for f*****-up Brexit? Resurgence of the Rev Malthus cult?
Take your pick/add as appropriate!
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I think its a bit like the boy who cried wolf, we've had the apocalypse predicted so many times we don't take it seriously any more.
IMO This one is serious not apocalyptic I hope but very very bad

Lancet reporting that 6% of covid19 cases in Italy are classed as criticaly ill at this point in time................................6%
Our health systems will not cope with this

careful now
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I sound like a doom monger but would rather be made a joke of than just shut up about this.

Lancet report

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2930567-5

From the horses mouth in Italy:

1/ I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of. #COVID19 #coronavirus

2/ This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

4/ I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activitieswere interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

5/ All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

8/ The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

10/ the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

12/ Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

15/ Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

16/ There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

17/ Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

18/ We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy."

20/ I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?

19/ Full post here, you can DeepL:
«Con le nostre azioni influenziamo la vita e la morte di molte persone»
Con un lungo post su Facebook, il dottor Daniele Macchini, medico dell’Humanitas Gavazzeni, racconta la sua vita in prima linea per contrastare il coronavirus. È una testimonianza da brividi, da legg…
https://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/ber ... 344030_11/

Based on the worldometer today Italy has 7,478 cases and the UK has 321.

So using even a 1.15 factor, what is the difference between Italy and the UK?

22 days.
Its a trick............get an Axe
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Asgard wrote:I sound like a doom monger but would rather be made a joke of than just shut up about this.

Lancet report

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPd ... %2930567-5

From the horses mouth in Italy:

1/ I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of. #COVID19 #coronavirus

2/ This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

4/ I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activitieswere interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

5/ All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

8/ The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

10/ the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

12/ Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

15/ Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

16/ There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

17/ Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

18/ We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy."

20/ I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?

19/ Full post here, you can DeepL:
«Con le nostre azioni influenziamo la vita e la morte di molte persone»
Con un lungo post su Facebook, il dottor Daniele Macchini, medico dell’Humanitas Gavazzeni, racconta la sua vita in prima linea per contrastare il coronavirus. È una testimonianza da brividi, da legg…
https://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/ber ... 344030_11/

Based on the worldometer today Italy has 7,478 cases and the UK has 321.

So using even a 1.15 factor, what is the difference between Italy and the UK?

22 days.
That is scary

Time to Pray

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

There could yet be a silver lining to this dark cloud:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... quarantine

Return to “THE PUB”