Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by johnnyboxer »

Chalky723 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:21 pm
Asgard wrote:Well against the general view in here, I have to say we probably aren't taking this as seriously as we should.

Hope I'm mistaken but the long incubation period is very worrying and today a 40 year old japanese women has been diagnosed with a reoccurence of the virus after being given the clear on the 1st feb fuelling concern that Covid 19 might end up behaving more like Anthrax than seasonal flu
Comparing numbers to seasonal flu right now might be comforting, but this is early days for an emerging Virus
As usual we are behind the curve.

Have a great day
I agree

Seeing clients today I have a wash station in the back of my pickup truck
I use alcohol wash before the visit and immediately afterwards before entering the passenger compartment and touching door handles & steering wheel etc
I am also wearing a face mask during each visit
If you're at that much risk from your clients, maybe avoid them for a while??

D
Business must go on though, where possible

We all have bills to pay
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

zimtim wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:49 am Whilst this virus is spreading it is doing so at rather sedate pace.
However once it starts working its way through The Third world and the undeveloped countries then it will really spread and spread fast.so for now I am not to bothered about the 19 odd cases.reported in the UK.

19 cases in an African Country like Zimbabwe and the virus will spread like wildfire through out the continent.

Apparently also the Chinese have a.glut of.shipping containers that they cannot pack with goods and distribute worldwide which is one of the reasons for shortages and thus the knock of effect it is having with the markets.

This has a long way to run yet.
Interesting. You could argue that there is an irony, in that we rightly criticise the Chinese government for being an anti-democratic authoritarian, top-down dictatorship - but it is exactly that ability to quickly exercise draconian lockdown measures that has largely contained the chinese end of this virus. They were able to pin down whole cities, including the probable source in the huge city of Wuhan, by forcing residents into isolation etc. The very lack of freedom in chinese society has actually proved useful in the case of a crisis like this. It wasn't perfect, obviously, because the virus has escaped china, but it would be far more widespread by now if Xi had not used his dicatorial powers to contain it.

Translate that to western democracies and we face a real issue, where the draconian measures that might prove necessary conflict with our rights and freedoms - to gather freely in groups, to move about, to express ourselves etc... What will be required to replace authoritarian policing is voluntary self-policing, and that will need a level of altruism and selflessness that we don't see much any more in our greedy capitalist culture. Those suffering from symptoms will have to put wider society first and lock themselves away for the greater good. But when their zero-hours contract refuses to pay them for sick leave and their money and food runs out, and when the shattered welfare state fails them, they will say 'sod this, I'm going out to eat something and I don't care who I infect'.
Flyfifer

Post by Flyfifer »

dave h

Post by dave h »

Thiss too many on us,

either a good war or a good virus is needed soon,

dave.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

dave h wrote:Thiss too many on us,

either a good war or a good virus is needed soon,

dave.
Numbers rising in UK now Image

With money we don't have

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I don't understand how such a large cluster occurred in Italy without being detected for a while--we've heard nothing about the potential source?--if we ban all air travel that would help--get back to a 1940s war economy with land girls etc--I was born just after the war and we had no running water and relied on a large vegetable/fruit garden and a bit of trading for the odd rabbit etc--we didn't have a fridge but managed through the winter months with careful storage and pickling--there was no local shop that stocked any real food--however, there was a mobile butcher and a mobile fruit and veg van which we used occasionally--it wasn't hard--and using stored rainwater never did me any harm!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

catcitrus wrote:I don't understand how such a large cluster occurred in Italy without being detected for a while--we've heard nothing about the potential source?--if we ban all air travel that would help--get back to a 1940s war economy with land girls etc--I was born just after the war and we had no running water and relied on a large vegetable/fruit garden and a bit of trading for the odd rabbit etc--we didn't have a fridge but managed through the winter months with careful storage and pickling--there was no local shop that stocked any real food--however, there was a mobile butcher and a mobile fruit and veg van which we used occasionally--it wasn't hard--and using stored rainwater never did me any harm!
I think that you can be a carrier and infected, without symptoms showing for 10 days or so
Therefore you can spread it without symptoms (unlike other flu & colds)

Clever virus isn’t it ???

With money we don't have

zimtim

Post by zimtim »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:02 pm I don't understand how such a large cluster occurred in Italy without being detected for a while--
I was speaking to someone the other day about the Italian situation.
Apparently whole villages/towns have been taken over by the Chinese over the last few years mainly due to high levels of corruption within local government.
Chinese companies come and literally buy the whole town.

https://www.ecnmy.org/engage/prato-chin ... ok-around/

Also with the Chinese New Year many Chinese travel home for the holiday period then return to the countries where they live.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

that explains it--thanks!
petecam

Post by petecam »

Well................ today we had a companywide email banning all but essential business travel and even then it would have to be OK'd by the CEO.

I am due on a trip across the channel in the not too distant future I'm waiting to hear if the company restriction is for travel within Europe, but its likely to be the case.

We are an engineering company and rely on people travelling to do actual work (as opposed to meetings that can be done remotely) so it’s going to be interesting times ahead for both us and our customers with kit that requires debugging or commissioning…

I thought Brexit was going to clusterf8ck my job enough, but this might take things to a new level :lol:

Return to “THE PUB”