TRF national mapping project

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Snaf MKII

TRF national mapping project

Post by Snaf MKII »

Has anyone here had access to this yet, I'm looking for opinions on its usability as a mapping resource.
For clarity I'm not a TRF member anymore but am interested in what will I'm told be a free public resource for motorcycle users once launched.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: TRF national mapping project

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There's something about it in the latest issue of Trail, which non-TRF people can view on-line.

https://issuu.com/trftrail/docs/trailwinter2019issuu

Still at the testing stage, it would seem.

Meanwhile, you can join GLASS and access Trailwise 2.
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

That's an excellent magazine. I guess joing the TRF is the obvious way to see it, but how come non members can see it there on issuu ?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Membership is pushing for 'Pay per View' for non TRF members

Otherwise why would we cough up £55 to be a TRF member??

Some groups are reluctant to share their areas, for non members to view

To see TW2, you have to join GLASS and I think TRF should do the same
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I'm happy to pay for either. I currently go with TW2, there's no alternative at the moment.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I'm currently a Glass member and do use TW2, I'm guessing it will be much the same but wondered if anyone has actually seen the TRF version. The mag (which we get as my partners a member) says it's out there being tested.
Richard Simpson Mark II

johnnyboxer wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:54 am Membership is pushing for 'Pay per View' for non TRF members

Otherwise why would we cough up £55 to be a TRF member??

Some groups are reluctant to share their areas, for non members to view

To see TW2, you have to join GLASS and I think TRF should do the same
IMHO The members 'pushing for something' will be ignored by the directors, who know what's best.

Back in the days of 'assumed rights' one of the great advantages of TRF membership was that you could find out which lanes you could ride.
There's no such thing any more, and you can find all legal routes with an OS map and via the local authorities' Highways and Rights of Way departments.

My understanding of what the current directors of The TRF Ltd is trying to do is to create a critical mass of trail-riding motorcyclists which will force national government to ensure an adequate network of routes is kept open for trail riding. Hence free access to the routes database and Trail magazine. As a backstop they appear to be taking an approach where if strategy one fails, they can operate TRF Ltd as a commercial entity on a 'pay to ride' basis by permission or on purchased land.

I'm not a TRF member any more, but can see these 2 outcomes as explaining a lot about the directors' current behaviour. TRF Ltd has already purchased some land in the Peak District National Park to enable members to ride on a track subject to a TRO 'except for landowners'.
Stebbelaner

Post by Stebbelaner »

Hi Richard,
is that land in the Peak District adjacent to Washgate lane by any chance?
Richard Simpson Mark II

I believe it is
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm
My understanding of what the current directors of The TRF Ltd is trying to do is to create a critical mass of trail-riding motorcyclists which will force national government to ensure an adequate network of routes is kept open for trail riding. Hence free access to the routes database and Trail magazine. As a backstop they appear to be taking an approach where if strategy one fails, they can operate TRF Ltd as a commercial entity on a 'pay to ride' basis by permission or on purchased land.

I'm not a TRF member any more, but can see these 2 outcomes as explaining a lot about the directors' current behaviour. TRF Ltd has already purchased some land in the Peak District National Park to enable members to ride on a track subject to a TRO 'except for landowners'.

Interesting. I like both these approaches.

Ive always been keen on the more people that ride the trails, the better it will/should be. It shows that there is a definite requirement to keep more lanes open to reduce pressure on the others if lanes close.

And the second approach......sneeky. Buy some land next to a TRO trail. Which allows the "members" to use the lane to access the land. Like it.

Im not a TRF member but seriously considering joining again. All Ive read lately is doom and gloom about the TRF, wish they would advertise their thoughts more publicly. Your post Richard, has swayed me to join up.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”