Wales

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

Wales

Post by garyboy »

I was returning from Baz Bikes with a brand new tyre (BT023 front, .. £80 to a loose wheel), driving in my car through Treorchy, when I suddenly became aware of how lovely a village Treorchy is .. too busy a traffic scene, but lovely shops I not seen before …… then, at that moment on the radio .. it came … Treorchy has won `town of the year` for the whole of the UK.

later, on TV, Llanberis is being put forward for `world heritage` status.

Brecon Beacons was the first National Park in the country .. and there are so many places to visit in Wales ,. and such great road to ride …………

………… what and where are you favourites ? .. 8-)
Albert 888

Re: Wales

Post by Albert 888 »

All of it,
elan valley,
pentrefoelas to Ffestiniog amazing c Road.
To much to choose from.
Just rode from chirk to Llanrwst and back today 50/50% on and off road 130miles, absolutely amazing.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

All of it:

Bwlch y Groes
Lake Vyrnwy
Gospel Pass
Cwmystwyth
Llanwchlyn-Bronaber
Abergwesyn Pass
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

both of you have said .. `all of it` .. and it is so true .. difficult to choose the best ..

North Wales .. Snowdonia, Bala, Betws y Coed, Horseshoe pass, ..
Mid Wales .. Mach Loop, Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Llandrindod, ..
The Gower, Pembrokeshire, Brecon Beacons, Tintern ..

A memorable ride was when Paul in Bont .. led us around Lake Vyrnwy, Bwllch y Groes, and that big waterfall Pistyll y raedr?

Bikers often meet at Llandovery, as it it quite central to get to loads of great places, and also Abergavenny bus station.

Roads I like are the A470, A44, A487, A5, A40, A483, .. .. ..

`Off road` ..was always Mid Wales lanes for me .. though the Wayfarer and Allt y badi were memorable rides, and Usk Lanes, Brechfa, Roman Road, Claerwen etc etc are good too .. though I never liked the more challenging trails :?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

The road from Ruthin to Corwen is classic at full chat and also that one from Bala to Trawsfynydd if you like going fast.
But anywhere off the beaten track is nice. That gated road from Llangurig to Rhyader is nice but so is the other side on the 44.
As mentioned , it's all nice, apart from Wrexham and Acrefair. :roll:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 am The road from Ruthin to Corwen is classic at full chat and also that one from Bala to Trawsfynydd if you like going fast.
I wish you hadn't said that... :lol: …looks like another Wales trip is in order for me... 8-)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Just take care with the speed, as north Wales police love to victimise bikers and will report you if 1 mph over .. and the area mentioned has average speed cameras
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Another favourite: over Barmouth railway bridge, up to Cregennan Lakes and the easy byway over the mountain down into Towyn ( Heol Ddu)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 am The road from Ruthin to Corwen is classic at full chat and also that one from Bala to Trawsfynydd if you like going fast.
But anywhere off the beaten track is nice. That gated road from Llangurig to Rhyader is nice but so is the other side on the 44.
As mentioned , it's all nice, apart from Wrexham and Acrefair. :roll:
Billy, that gated road is a new one to me- always to learn something new :)

Any details please?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

PaulinBont wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:41 pm Billy, that gated road is a new one to me- always to learn something new :)

Any details please?
OK, if you are in Llangurig and you're heading towards Aberystwyth on the A44, just as you come off the roundabout there is or was a shop on your left hand side and at the side of the shop is an unclassified road or country lane. Head down there and the lane runs alongside the River Wye and becomes very narrow and you go through some gates and a farmyard and you are in some land that belongs to Nannerth Country Holidays. When you get to the end of the lane you can turn right for Cwmystwyth and left for Rhyader.

Return to “TRAVEL”