Soft pannier backing tape velcro etc?

The essential art of farkling.
Tramp

Soft pannier backing tape velcro etc?

Post by Tramp »

]Okay, I like my lomo panniers in size but the strapping is shit. Only sewen on at top by 50mm no wonder the rip off...

So as I'm tight and like a challenge :lol:

The idea is 2 fold... Add some self adhesive velcro to the back of each pannier in 3 places about 20mm wide by 200mm long then add 20mm wide by 400mm long velcro to top and this overlaps original straps so by spreading load over more area... Physics pure and simple..

Now to prevent the adhesive coming off I'm adding 5mm chopping board over the back of panniers acting as support and heat shield... This will be bolted with washers through to inside of pannier as they have a hard backing inside...

Thoughts folks... The weight inside each pannier is max 15kg...normally 10kg...so 2 straps 20mm wide over seat and a other strap 100mm wide over seat...

IMG_20191214_132603.jpg
IMG_20191214_132603.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Cheers
catcitrus

Re: Soft pannier backing tape velcro etc?

Post by catcitrus »

As I said before I put a strap from the pannier frame UNDER the bag, up the outside and then join it across the seat--this supports the bag and takes the strain off the stock straps. The other point is that its important to have the straps (stock) pulling as far near vertical as possible--which means mounting the bags as low as possible. Ortliebs have a stiff inner backing and this works well as the straps are sandwiched and bolted through--but they are not as big as the Lomos. Ideally (if you are going to add a backing) then remount the straps altogether and sandwich them between the backing board and the fabric--and if you can't bolt with dome heads then use rivets with big heads and washers. I know that this sounds like a major rework but at the end of the day it will cost you virtually nothing and you will end up with something fit for purpose that you can trust.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ahh the penny has dropped :D my end...ive got the ortliebs too whi h gave me the sandwich idea...ive easy access to loading restraint straps so will experiment with them...sometime kiss is best ;) ..

Thanks again.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I use chopping boards as pannier frames. Works a treat.

Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Paulc...have you heard of hdpe ? Itsxa great product and its black mainly...head resistant too...do like your improvisation though.. 8-)
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I thought HDPE was exactly what most chopping boards are made from
Its a trick............get an Axe
Flyfifer

Post by Flyfifer »

I thought I posted this pic on here ages ago but it's my take on lomo Pannier additional support.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/493 ... f678dc.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/493 ... 928b4a.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/493 ... 7a6a50.jpg

As can be seen there is a "cradle" for each pannier. Each cradle is looped around the pannier frame i.e. no additional straps across the seat.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”