New Tenere 700

Bikers and riding
RandG

Re: New Tenere 700

Post by RandG »

I have no idea of it's worth to a dealer though 18 plate DCT ATAS I'd guess nearer 10k than 8.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am I have no idea of it's worth to a dealer though 18 plate DCT ATAS I'd guess nearer 10k than 8.
Well there you go, a good deal for the dealer as he'll make full margin on the T700 and he'll have your bike that stands him at £8500 and he'll retail it at well over £10,000 plus

Win-Win for the dealer...........plenty of profit right there for him

No Win for you

Personally I wouldn't do that deal, he's pulling your pants down, right enough

If you like burning money, set fire to £2000 in a pile of £10 notes and see if it gives you the same pleasure for 5 mins
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
RandG

Post by RandG »

I'm under no illusions there are making off of it but a new, lighter bike as a straight swap does have an appeal.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
RandG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am I have no idea of it's worth to a dealer though 18 plate DCT ATAS I'd guess nearer 10k than 8.
Well there you go, a good deal for the dealer as he'll make full margin on the T700 and he'll have your bike that stands him at £8500 and he'll retail it at well over £10,000 plus

No Win for you

If you like burning money, set fire to £2000 in a pile of £10 notes and see if it gives you the same pleasure for 5 mins

I take it that you have all the details on the ATAS being discussed as a PX. Mileage, service history, condition, what the bike may need to get it ready for sale?

Also a quick look on what’s currently for sale and I find, at a Honda dealer, an Anniversary Edition with a couple of extras showing 16,500 miles. It will be freshly serviced for the new owner.
Price.....£8,699

And that’s in a sea of Africa Twins.

Add to the fact that the supplying Yamaha dealer has to pay Yamaha for the new bike once it’s sold so in effect they are stumping up money for secondhand stock.
Yes that’s the business that they’re in, but cash flow needs managing. They may even use a stocking plan that will cost them money.
The ATAS may sit around for a few months.
Profit is only realised at sale time.

The biggest part of this is this:- if RandG is happy with the deal he’s been offered then it’s a good deal! End of.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

No Win for you

You remind me of a certain Harry Enfield Character :lol:
Its a trick............get an Axe
RandG

Post by RandG »

OnHellas wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:15 pm

The biggest part of this is this:- if RandG is happy with the deal he’s been offered then it’s a good deal! End of.
I would say that is pretty much the bottom line.

I would be very surprised if my ATAS is only worth £8699 though, it has less than half the mileage quoted above and is also a DCT model so I'm going to guess in and around the 10k mark. The value of it means nothing to be honest because if I want a new bike we are splitting hairs over a few hundred and I can't really be arsed with that.

The issue is when will a bike become available ? I've read folk saying they've ordered and won't see them til October and I ask myself, what's the point in me getting a new bike then at the earliest, I ain't gonna be riding it til Spring (done enough winters, it's not for me now) however, with Brexit and the pound who knows how the pricing will go after that so I guess decisions need making.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Bikes must be available cos I've seen one out and about already.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

redbikejohn wrote:Bikes must be available cos I've seen one out and about already.
They are but all current bikes sold and on the road are and have been pre-ordered prior to 31/7
Bikes that are in use are in the 10's so far
I was told after the ABR Festival and up to 31/7 that if I ordered them (to save £300) then it would be Oct st the earliest to have a bike and possibly later
With that in mind (and a post Brexit possible price hike) I have decided to wait until Feb or March to strike a deal and order - once all the fuss has died down

With money we don't have

johnnyboxer

New Tenere 700

Post by johnnyboxer »

OnHellas wrote:

No Win for you

I take it that you have all the details on the ATAS being discussed as a PX. Mileage, service history, condition, what the bike may need to get it ready for sale?

Also a quick look on what’s currently for sale and I find, at a Honda dealer, an Anniversary Edition with a couple of extras showing 16,500 miles. It will be freshly serviced for the new owner.
Price.....£8,699

And that’s in a sea of Africa Twins.

Add to the fact that the supplying Yamaha dealer has to pay Yamaha for the new bike once it’s sold so in effect they are stumping up money for secondhand stock.
Yes that’s the business that they’re in, but cash flow needs managing. They may even use a stocking plan that will cost them money.
The ATAS may sit around for a few months.
Profit is only realised at sale time.

I bet my figs are closer to the truth knowing a bit about the motor trade

An ATAS with decent nick and low miles will retail nearer £10k

The dealer has only offered that deal to Cabby because there is a decent turn in it for the dealer for the reasons I stated

Dealers are not offering much for used bikes at present - the new & used market for bikes (and cars) is slowing due to a lack of consumer confidence, mainly due to Brexit uncertainties

With money we don't have

RandG

Post by RandG »

I'm tempted to wait til early next year as there seems to me nothing to actually gain by ordering now given I'm not likely to see it, at best in October and as said above, my days of riding in winter are long gone.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”