WHICH SAT NAV 2019?

The essential art of farkling.
Carbonari

WHICH SAT NAV 2019?

Post by Carbonari »

I want to buy a Sat Nav, what is the best product currently available? Does this depend on the bike I am putting it on?
Thanks
Mike Wright

Re: WHICH SAT NAV 2019?

Post by Mike Wright »

Depends what you want it for... Road and travel I think the zūmo® 590LM and for off road adventure and a mix of everything the Garmin Montana. LM means free lifetime map updates. If its for a small ADV bike and used for a mix then the Garmin Montana as the 590/595 is a big screen road one really.
PDiddy

Post by PDiddy »

I've the BMW version of the Garmin Montana that I use for everything, this version does come with lifetime maps which I don't believe that the rest of the Garmin Montana range doesn't.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Do a bit of searching on Tinternet, there is as many opinions about this as there is for tyre and oil threads but you can get a feel for why people use the various options and try to match that to your expected use.

My personal opinion is that a rugged smartphone, NO sim installed, set to airplane mode and the gps turned back on makes a good satnav, far better than any of the dedicated options I've found. I use a Blackview BV6000 and my wife has a later version that I can't remember the number of.
Advantages are, a better screen, options for navigation apps and the ability to throw it around.
Disadvantages may be the screen sensitivity and glove friendly use, some of them have options to help with this though, personally I've never had a problem as I stop to mess around with mine anyway.
You can also setup google speech recognition and try controlling it via speech, I've never tried but I've read of varying degrees of success, hopefully better than my Garmin speech recognition was as that was a useless gimmick that just ended up with me shouting at the satnav while trying to get it to recognise a place name :?

I use Tomtom Go for road nav and viewranger for off road/trail riding, an X grip mount and just charge it every night. Some of the latest phones have wireless charging so you could get a charge pad and add that to the X grip to charge on the go.

Steve

Return to “ACCESSORIES”