WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Noppy

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Noppy »

Guys,

Sorry to bother you here with a question on a different brand, but I know there is a lot of expertise here!

Today I saw an ad for a 2018 Mash 400 adventure with ABS.

Does anyone know if this could be true? Would I be able to switch it off temporary or permanently?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L29 met Tapatalk

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Noppy, yes ABS was introduced on this model. The mash 400 adventure is made by Shineray in China and was imported to the UK under licence by Mash and WK both of which ceased to be imported to the UK around 2016-2017 just as ABS was being introduced on them so any with ABS in this country are rare, more likely on the Mash as this carried on for a short while after WK stopped
The bike continues in the Ukraine under the name of Geon...……

Having checked the UK Mash website the latest street versions of the 400 all have ABS required under UK law which is listed in the spec and can be seen on the brake discs and states its switchable, the right hand switch gear should have the facility to do this
thumb_588_1600_1200_0_0_auto[1].jpg
thumb_588_1600_1200_0_0_auto[1].jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Noppy

Post by Noppy »

netsonic wrote:Hi Noppy, yes ABS was introduced on this model. The mash 400 adventure is made by Shineray in China and was imported to the UK under licence by Mash and WK both of which ceased to be imported to the UK around 2016-2017 just as ABS was being introduced on them so any with ABS in this country are rare, more likely on the Mash as this carried on for a short while after WK stopped
The bike continues in the Ukraine under the name of Geon...……

Having checked the UK Mash website the latest street versions of the 400 all have ABS required under UK law which is listed in the spec and can be seen on the brake discs and states its switchable, the right hand switch gear should have the facility to do this
thumb_588_1600_1200_0_0_auto[1].jpg
Nice! Thanks! I'm planning to take this bike as a commuter, but also would like to slowly transfer the suspension into a heavy duty travel bike. So beef up the suspension, front brake (bigger rotor?) and tune the injection a bit. Any leads for this?

Tink

Post by Tink »

Do they stall engine when riding or on tick over,??
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Hi Tink, can you expand on your question please
Tink

Post by Tink »

netsonic wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm Hi Tink, can you expand on your question please
Sorry.... What I meant to say was, I'd heard that they were suffering from engine cutting out🤔.... Is this to do with the fuel filler gasket ?.... Were they doing it when riding or when idling?.... Thanks 👍
Noppy

Post by Noppy »

If I may answer this question, stalling with injection within the EU is common, as I know the problem with KTM's and Husaberg. The cause is not entirely clear, but most often it is caused by clogged injector nozzles, often caused by growth of bacteria in the tank. As soon as temperatures vary, the ethanol in modern gasolines 'seperates' in to water and something else. The layer of water provides a nice 'ecosystem' for human created bacterias to grow, live and shit. The latter stuff will clog your injectors but also the filters which will keep the injectors from clogging (completely clogged filters will also cause the bike to stop). So in order to keep your FI bike running, stay away from stations who mix with ethanol (environmental measure), add several filters of 25m, 20m and 15 micron in exactly this sequence or switch back to carburetted bikes

netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Tink wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:40 pm
netsonic wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm Hi Tink, can you expand on your question please
Sorry.... What I meant to say was, I'd heard that they were suffering from engine cutting out🤔.... Is this to do with the fuel filler gasket ?.... Were they doing it when riding or when idling?.... Thanks 👍
The wk400 can have issue's around stalling/cutting out. Mine from new did both almost at every point of throttle off coming to idle and was excentuatded when fuel level was low. After much research two issues were identified. One was a potential tank vacuum from a poor design in the petrol cap fixed as shown in this thread, recommended this is addressed first if stalling occurres with low fuel level in tank. The second is more complex and not 100% resolved but massively improves random engine cutting out symptoms, this is done by fettling the TPS which I did again mentioned in this thread. I bought my bike new and with zero miles the engine was as tight as a ducks arse which didn't help, as time went on and with the mods mentioned the engine loosened up and is now great. As Noppy says this bike was built to run with a carb so it's a bit of a compromise to have an old school engine mated with fuel injection but with some fettling this is a really great bike in my view
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Nice resurrection of the thread Netsonic :D
Mines still.going strong . Over 9000 miles now
Chain and sprockets done just before 8k and didn't look a lot different from new .
Fitted a horrendously expensive renthal chain but so far doing a good job.
Went through first MOT in Feb.
Have a issue with lights though. First lost dip, changed bulbs no good. Now main beam. Looks like handlebar switch is the issue. Still have brake and rear/ number plate and indicators.
20190504_174106.jpg
20190504_174106.jpg (220.1 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
IMG_20190524_150056_089.jpg
IMG_20190524_150056_089.jpg (68.84 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
IMG_20190519_235156_157.jpg
IMG_20190519_235156_157.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

netsonic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am just brushing the dust of this thread,...…………………………….. my WK is still going strong, it will soon be due for a chain and sprocket set, before I go down the OEM route have any WK400 owners used a different make of front and rear sprockets, I've been looking at JT which the front looks like JTF1322 15T but not sure of their rear. If any one has used the JT version of the rear sprocket part number would be most appreciated
I used the JT front which is a crm250 , had a wk rear though
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"

Return to “BIKES”