Chew valley and cheddar gorge info required..

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tramp

Chew valley and cheddar gorge info required..

Post by Tramp »

Okay for my next outing im looking at riding the scenic back roads... B and c type through nice hamlets in the cheddar area and south to chew valley area...

Think bobobeleg and mad chris now the area well... Its just roads not trails guys..
Godspeed

Re: Chew valley and cheddar gorge info required..

Post by Godspeed »

Burrington Combe is lovely, incorporate the red section into any route.
Look out for Rock of Ages in Burrington Combe where a vicar his from the storm and penned the well known hymn 👍
D9C28E5D-2776-4EA6-8B77-D20B2411C9A3.jpeg
D9C28E5D-2776-4EA6-8B77-D20B2411C9A3.jpeg (84.95 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I went that way last year one Sunday
From Longleat to Wookey hole and onto cheddar gorge some nice roads that way.
Was disappointed when I got cheddar gorge as the road through the village was absolutely gridlocked. . Managed to cut through a carpark and onto a pavement.
Police were called to clear.

The road through the gorge now has a 30mph limit
Came back through the Mendip hills.might still have the .gpx
herman

Post by herman »

North of Weston is Sand Bay with an ice cream van at the far end of beach road, nice spot for a wander. Then hug the coast south as far as Bridgewater and cut back to Shepton Mallet then south to Sherbourne and onto Compton Abbas airfield for tea and cake, all on back roads avoiding the A roads. Did that one Sunday morning last year when quiet. 8-)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

herman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm North of Weston is Sand Bay with an ice cream van at the far end of beach road, nice spot for a wander. Then hug the coast south as far as Bridgewater and cut back to Shepton Mallet then south to Sherbourne and onto Compton Abbas airfield for tea and cake, all on back roads avoiding the A roads. Did that one Sunday morning last year when quiet. 8-)
I like the way you navigate by CAKE Allen. :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If you do Allan's route, Russ, drop into Cerne Abbas village, just south of Sherborne. I lived there briefly. Typical dorset thatched village. Several excellent ye olde pubs and a 15 minute hike up to the chalk Giant. If you sit on his cock you get pregnant apparently, so that could be different...
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Just come to my house and I'll guide you around ;)

PS, if you want to do Cheddar Gorge you need to do it early at this time of the year.
one-legged adventurer
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Coincidentally rode through Cheddar today on my way to helmet city (a small but friendly shop with benches outside for bikers to have a sit down, they often seem to offer a cup of tea or coffee gratis which is nice) anyway I’m getting off track. Your coming to the end of the time when you can enjoy riding it. The tourists season and cyclists start early in Cheddar, do it soon if you’re going to do it coz gridlocks looming and the mad tourists who leave all road sense at home start wobbling out into the road like zombies. If you’re set on going in the summer riding Cheddar early or quite late is much clearer, you’re less likely to get snarled up behind a gaggle (can’t bring myself to call them a peloton) of cyclists or a coach load of visitors disembarking in the middle of the road cos there’s no parking left.

There’s some great stuff over the mendips and Chew, beautiful views so it worth it but timing counts.

A lot of bikers and cyclists seem to end up at Sweets tearooms (on a bit from Cheddar), I can’t vouch for it because I haven’t been there but it’s probably a safer bet than ‘The Cider Barn’ on the Cheddar road which often has a lot of bikes parked up outside.

Depending on how far you want to go further down is the A39 which often makes onto ‘best road ride” listings.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Just remembered I’m meeting up with someone and going for a bimble round Chew on Saturday myself, what you riding, I’ll give you a wave if I see you :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers guys... Ill leave the trip till autumn when the hordes have left...

Return to “TRAVEL”