Crf1000 servicing costs!

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Crf1000 servicing costs!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

All credit to you for clocking up those miles.

If its been done commuting, I confess, Id consider getting a Royal Enfield 650.

I've ridden one and it's a lovely engine with a rather budget suspension but still a nice relaxing ride.

Very economical, and mostly easy to service yourself...my dealer wants £150 for a service.

Plus it looks cool.

At only £5500 OTR you could just run it until the warranty expires, then flog it for a new one and still save money compared to the Honda.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

as fortune would have it, I just received a letter about my pcp
they would only charge £300 for `no service history` when the balloon payment arrives.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I wouldn't bother with any of the Honda service plans, I have one on my CRF250 Rally but when I looked into what they actually do it's not really worth it. I will service it myself after it runs out this year. I've already replaced chain, air filter and brake pads myself anyway :?
one-legged adventurer
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Yeah my Africa Twin is now out of warranty and im going to service it myself and IF it starts running bad ill get a dealer to look at the valves and plugs, as I wouldn't be comfortable doing these myself! BUT to date ive never heard a story of valves being out of spec on the AT nor any plugs fouling! and the rest of the service is pretty much what I would do on any bike anyway, and as said if you write down the mileage in the service book and keep receipts for parts then im sure a future buyer would be happy with this info, you could even knock a couple of hundred quid off the deal as a sweetener and still be ahead of the game :D
Mughal125

Post by Mughal125 »

sexysi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 am Was a bit shocked yesterday as I went into the Honda dealers where I bought my bike some 10 months ago. and booked my 16k service. All booked in ok, but I'm now having 2nd thoughts I can do the service myself, but wanted to retain the 1 years warranty left on the bike. I was shocked when the guy told me, did I realise that the service was £900!!!.

Wtf, now do I service the bike via the dealer knowing that I will have to get a 24k + another 32k service done by the end of year. Or do I start doing it myself. Cause this year servicing will alone cost me near 2k!.

Do those spark really need changing yet, this is where I believe £120 of the cost is...... and does anyone actually pay £900 for a service.....

Thoughts please.
well it gonna be very expansive £900 is to much and the servicing costs is very high
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Is there an online list showing what is done/checked at each service interval? I cant find a comprehensive one in the owners manual or the workshop manual! :?:
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 am
OnHellas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 am
daveuprite wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:50 am
sexysi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 am Was a bit shocked yesterday as I went into the Honda dealers where I bought my bike some 10 months ago and booked my 16k service. All booked in ok, but I'm now having 2nd thoughts I can do the service myself, but wanted to retain the 1 years warranty left on the bike. I was shocked when the guy told me, did I realise that the service was £900!!!.

Wtf, now do I service the bike via the dealer knowing that I will have to get a 24k + another 32k service done by the end of year. Or do I start doing it myself. Cause this year servicing will alone cost me near 2k!.

Do those spark really need changing yet, this is where I believe £120 of the cost is...... and does anyone actually pay £900 for a service.....

Thoughts please.
Bloody hell! It's a Honda motorbike, not a Porsche 911. Amazing quotes.

Think I'd be very tempted to buy genuine or good quality parts, do the service myself, buy a John Bull printing set to make up a stamp, and then put the left over £750 into my 'next adventure' piggy bank.
Sending a bike with a false service history!
Nice!!!!
Well not quite. I'm not advocating that anybody should claim a bike has been serviced when it hasn't. That's a bad thing.

I'm saying you should carry out the service yourself with the proper parts in the right way, using the Honda workshop manual where necessary. So the bike gets serviced - no question. Then you simply fill in the service schedule yourself and avoid the exorbitant labour charges referred to in the OP. The important thing is that the bike gets looked after. Remember a lot of mechanics are just fitters these days following a procedure in a workshop manual and often do nothing different to what you could do adequately yourself.

The only problem with this is that there is no electronic record of the service with Honda, so warranty claims might still be invalidated.

You'd have invalidated the warranty anyway, since under UK/EU law, to retain the warranty means using a VAT registered mechanic, using genuine parts, so you'd have failed the first test and in the event of a claim it would be refused. The idea of making up a stamp is essentially fraudulent.

Return to “BIKES”