Crf1000 servicing costs!

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: Crf1000 servicing costs!

Post by daveuprite »

OnHellas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 am
daveuprite wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:50 am
sexysi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 am Was a bit shocked yesterday as I went into the Honda dealers where I bought my bike some 10 months ago and booked my 16k service. All booked in ok, but I'm now having 2nd thoughts I can do the service myself, but wanted to retain the 1 years warranty left on the bike. I was shocked when the guy told me, did I realise that the service was £900!!!.

Wtf, now do I service the bike via the dealer knowing that I will have to get a 24k + another 32k service done by the end of year. Or do I start doing it myself. Cause this year servicing will alone cost me near 2k!.

Do those spark really need changing yet, this is where I believe £120 of the cost is...... and does anyone actually pay £900 for a service.....

Thoughts please.
Bloody hell! It's a Honda motorbike, not a Porsche 911. Amazing quotes.

Think I'd be very tempted to buy genuine or good quality parts, do the service myself, buy a John Bull printing set to make up a stamp, and then put the left over £750 into my 'next adventure' piggy bank.
Sending a bike with a false service history!
Nice!!!!
Well not quite. I'm not advocating that anybody should claim a bike has been serviced when it hasn't. That's a bad thing.

I'm saying you should carry out the service yourself with the proper parts in the right way, using the Honda workshop manual where necessary. So the bike gets serviced - no question. Then you simply fill in the service schedule yourself and avoid the exorbitant labour charges referred to in the OP. The important thing is that the bike gets looked after. Remember a lot of mechanics are just fitters these days following a procedure in a workshop manual and often do nothing different to what you could do adequately yourself.

The only problem with this is that there is no electronic record of the service with Honda, so warranty claims might still be invalidated.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Hoots man I bought yet another bike cost me less than that service cost....a 1984 K100Rs.......never spent more than that service cost on these bikes.

But as for the Honda, some of them are pig to service......take apart to get at the plugs......take apart to get at valves to check clearances.........take out cams to adjust them.....plus lots more stuff. I know because my son has a VFR800 Vtec and much as its nice I would have my old BMWs any day.

Long term learn how to do them yourself. Even if you cant do them all do the routine servicing.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

sexysi wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 am Thanks for the replies so far, the Honda guy had mentioned the service plan and the fact that high mileage bikers get turned down, because of the servicing costs. Put it this way they wouldn't of sold it to me as I do 18k a year. Was thinking about buying all the right parts for the servicing and keeping the receipts and doing myself.
I always do my own servicing once out of warranty but if this was my bike I would try for the Honda service plan, I think it would also help come resale time especially if it will be a high miler.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

So the dealership in question is maidstone Honda and I was lead to believe that the plugs would need to be changed. After having a look at the schedule it transpires that they get changed at 32k not 16k, so that would be a saving of £120 in parts straight away.
I have also got 2 more quotes from Honda dealers.
Chelsea Honda £300 + parts.
21st moto Honda dealer in swanley £650 all in.

So I think maidstone Honda maybe overcharging in the order of £350 and for work that is not needed. I replacement of iridium plugs. This is not the first time that I have a charge discrepancy with maidstone. So strongly worded email has been sent to the manager now.

Si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

As far as I understand it provided that the bike is fitted with "certified" parts, not necessarily Honda, and oil changes are done at the specified intervals etc then the warranty STANDS -its the law- certainly applies if the fault CANNOT be related to faulty or lack of servicing--and there are plenty of failures that have NOTHING to do with servicing at all. The manufacturers CANNOT restrict use of service items (oil, filters and so on) to THEIR branded items--its been that way for ages. I had a KTM from new, did all the servicing myself, except the valve clearances which were fiddly, and got the book officially stamped anyway--they knew I could be trusted to do a good job and simply gave it the once over--sensible approach.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

catcitrus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 am As far as I understand it provided that the bike is fitted with "certified" parts, not necessarily Honda, and oil changes are done at the specified intervals etc then the warranty STANDS -its the law- certainly applies if the fault CANNOT be related to faulty or lack of servicing--and there are plenty of failures that have NOTHING to do with servicing at all. The manufacturers CANNOT restrict use of service items (oil, filters and so on) to THEIR branded items--its been that way for ages. I had a KTM from new, did all the servicing myself, except the valve clearances which were fiddly, and got the book officially stamped anyway--they knew I could be trusted to do a good job and simply gave it the once over--sensible approach.
Well that's the perfect solution. :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I suppose you have go weigh up ..
. cost of service
. value of the bike
. likelyhood of keeping

bearing in mind ..
. proposed mileage
. value added by `full service history` .. when selling, part-exing, claiming on the warranty

as well as ..
. likelyhood of claiming on the warranty
. reliability,/ peace of mind, added by the stamped service

I know when I bought a new bike, on HP, I wanted to `do the right thing`
(for the sake of the bike, and so that any warranty could be honoured
I booked in to a Main Honda dealer the first 600 mile service

then found out ..
. what they did, I could have done very easily (basically, an oil change and check bolts)
. that the oil it came with is a crap thin oil just for cleaning really
. that I didnt need to go to a main honda dealer
. that any mechanic that is VAT registered and used genuine parts? plus `stamp` is ok for the warranty

then the 8,000 and 16,000 mile service ..
when I went to a local registered mechanic, or phoned a main dealer, I found out ..
. Hondas are `very reliable`
. Honda rarely need valve adjustment
. the dct unit is a good unit and very reliable
. the warranty `only covers moving parts` ????????

The warranty is now out
and, obviously ?, I will be doing my own servicing
the main being oil changes
but will go dealer if valves need doing.

the point? …. does a good Honda really need a dealer service,
and do they really need a 2 (or is it 3) year warranty?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That's taking the piss! Full 24k service for S10 at Alf England half that, I like the fact that Yam S10 and current Tracer GT have 24k valve checks :)
Previous gs800 every 12k and never needed touching, Triumphs don't go as far as 24k, I weigh that up when buying a bike!
bowber

Post by bowber »

I bought a bike once that had full service history, all the receipts etc. Didn't pay any more than the going rate either.
I looked through the service history and costs and basically the total from the dealer services was around the price I paid.
Some of the later services only had the mileage to/from the dealer on!
So my thinking on my 1050 was just service it myself, mark the book with the mileage and date and take the hit on resale.

Steve
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

All credit to you for clocking up those miles.

If its been done commuting, I confess, Id consider getting a Royal Enfield 650.

I've ridden one and it's a lovely engine with a rather budget suspension but still a nice relaxing ride.

Very economical, and mostly easy to service yourself...my dealer wants £150 for a service.

Plus it looks cool.

At only £5500 OTR you could just run it until the warranty expires, then flog it for a new one and still save money compared to the Honda.

Return to “BIKES”