Suzuki drz 400

The Things We Ride
Mikekitts81

Suzuki drz 400

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Was looking at a 2018 and a 2019 suzuki drz 400 and i dont get why we dont have them in uk . What is so wrong with selling the drz400 in uk . You can get a second hand one all over because they are that l popular of a bike so why dont suzuki actually sell the drz400 anymore in the uk .

Iam guessing its euro 4 compliances but last time i checked we was coming out of brexit so does that mean it could be on its way back some time soon the sm is street legal anyways and fits the guidelines the s model needs a few lights etc and the e was road legal aswell so why not

People say its heavy but 125kg dry weight inist really that heavy for a realibale bike that only needs valveclearnaces etc every 20,000 miles compared to the 115kg that needs high maintence .

I say bring back the drz400 e

And while the sm as usd forks and suzuki already have them there put some usds on it aswell surely usd forks are better of road rather than conventiaonl .
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Suzuki drz 400

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

For some reason, the Japanese 'big four' decided the trail bike market was dead.

You could make a DR-Z conform to Euro 4 with fuel injection and a catalysed exhaust, but it was obviously not thought worthwhile.

However, Honda broke ranks...and their 250 trail bike became a best-seller overnight, so it can be done.

There is no chance whatsoever of the UK abandoning European vehicle emissions standards post-Brexit. The Euro standards pretty much apply worldwide now, with the exception of parts of the third world, and north America, and there are global concerns about air quality. Euro standards are now embeded in local regulations in the UK, with the London ULEZ being just one example.

You can however still obtain SVA (single vehicle approval) for a new or imported motorbike without it undergoing emissions testing.

I doubt that most trail riders could tell the difference between fork types, assuming they are of equal quality and set-up correctly. USD seals seem to fail more often as they are in a 'dirtier' area, and the inverted legs restrict steering lock.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I wouldn't really want a 'new old' DRZ400, if that makes sense, especially as it would probably cost at least 60% of the cost of a 'new new' enduro bike.. But I would like Suzuki to make a brand new modern DRZ400, which meets all current standards, has a 6 speed box, FI, modern suspension and a good tank range. If you ask most of the DRZ lot on Thumpertalk it's been want they have been wanting for years and everyone thinks that Suzuki really missed a trick abandoning a popular best-seller by not updating it. Honda appears to have balls-ed up the upcoming CRF450L by giving it the power of a small rotavator, so there is still a hole to fill with a really good dual-sport all-rounder between 400 and 500cc. But as Richard says, the Japanese clearly don't think there is much of an off-road market out there for them, which is partly what has allowed KTM and the other European makers to dominate.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:17 pm I wouldn't really want a 'new old' DRZ400, if that makes sense, especially as it would probably cost at least 60% of the cost of a 'new new' enduro bike.. But I would like Suzuki to make a brand new modern DRZ400, which meets all current standards, has a 6 speed box, FI, modern suspension and a good tank range. If you ask most of the DRZ lot on Thumpertalk it's been want they have been wanting for years and everyone thinks that Suzuki really missed a trick abandoning a popular best-seller by not updating it. Honda appears to have balls-ed up the upcoming CRF450L by giving it the power of a small rotavator, so there is still a hole to fill with a really good dual-sport all-rounder between 400 and 500cc. But as Richard says, the Japanese clearly don't think there is much of an off-road market out there for them, which is partly what has allowed KTM and the other European makers to dominate.
I have a low mileage 2007 DRZ400 and they hold their value really well. There does not seem to be anything about in that class that would sway me away from it. A modern six speed with fuel injection and large tank as standard would do it for me too/ Oh and must not weigh any more than 150kg.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

frenchy3 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 pm
daveuprite wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:17 pm I wouldn't really want a 'new old' DRZ400, if that makes sense, especially as it would probably cost at least 60% of the cost of a 'new new' enduro bike.. But I would like Suzuki to make a brand new modern DRZ400, which meets all current standards, has a 6 speed box, FI, modern suspension and a good tank range. If you ask most of the DRZ lot on Thumpertalk it's been want they have been wanting for years and everyone thinks that Suzuki really missed a trick abandoning a popular best-seller by not updating it. Honda appears to have balls-ed up the upcoming CRF450L by giving it the power of a small rotavator, so there is still a hole to fill with a really good dual-sport all-rounder between 400 and 500cc. But as Richard says, the Japanese clearly don't think there is much of an off-road market out there for them, which is partly what has allowed KTM and the other European makers to dominate.
I have a low mileage 2007 DRZ400 and they hold their value really well. There does not seem to be anything about in that class that would sway me away from it. A modern six speed with fuel injection and large tank as standard would do it for me too/ Oh and must not weigh any more than 150kg.
Well if it's made from modern materials there's really no excuse for it to weigh in at over 135kg (wet, unfuelled). Beta, Huskie and KTM all manage to bring their 500cc enduro bikes in at about 115kgs. If I had the cash handy I'd be very interested in adventurising a Beta 500RR. The only problem you can't solve doing this is the short service intervals. A modern Suzuki DRZ400 should have 5000-10000km servicing.

I spent about 3 years on a DRZ400E doing greenlaning, the HISS trails in Spain, some rocky stuff in Dordogne etc - it managed it all OK and I genuinely liked that bike. But it was a revelation when I changed to a Beta 450RR. You can sometimes get so comfortable and used to your existing bike that you can't imagine anything else being much better. Then you try something much newer and rapidly realise how things have moved on. And I'm sure my 2012 bike feels ploddy compared to a 2018 bike...
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I would buy a new uprated for 2019 DRZ400 in an instant, it's never going to happen though :(

I looked at quite a few 6-8 years ago, but got fed up with knackered bikes @ asking prices more than the the original RRP. Off road bikes should not be an investment :shock:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I suppose the SWM bikes are an option. Similar concept as the DRZ. They look quite good and seem reliable so far.

But even they are still not brand new. They use Huskie engines from a few years back, just as the CCM uses a BMW unit from a while ago. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but if you pay brand new money it would be good to get the very latest tech. It's certainly not beyond the might of Suzuki to bring us a great NEW DRZ. Personally I'd like it to be a DRZ500FI, with 6 speeds, maybe a soft economy mode for longer distance plus an on-the-fly button to access full power (around 50bhp), a 250+km range tank, mounting points for luggage and/or a bespoke luggage option, 10000km major service intervals, wet weight around 125kgs, seat height below 940, adjustable bars and pegs etc etc...

But, as has been said, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

drz was me main trail bike for 7 years and as a trail bike it was fine ..i could never get the gearbox to work for duel purpose gear it for the road and it was very awkweard off road too tall 1st lots of clutch and too gappy ..gear it off road and it was screaming its tits off at 55mph

if these were available then i may well have bit the bullet but i fear the drz is now too old to be investing in

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/ProductSuzu ... 02013.html
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 am drz was me main trail bike for 7 years and as a trail bike it was fine ..i could never get the gearbox to work for duel purpose gear it for the road and it was very awkweard off road too tall 1st lots of clutch and too gappy ..gear it off road and it was screaming its tits off at 55mph

if these were available then i may well have bit the bullet but i fear the drz is now too old to be investing in

http://www.novaracing.co.uk/ProductSuzu ... 02013.html
I agree fully,i have found an immaculate low mileage standard DRZ400S then put a long range tank,luggage racks,12 volt aux power supply,small screen etc only to find it is a great bike for trail riding(not as good as the modern stuff but adequate for me gently riding green lanes) I do find as i am knocking on the door of my sixties i have got such a great little trail bike it is still not quite what i wanted for european touring with a bit of wild camping etc. I think i will need two bikes and may complement the DRZ400 with a Honda Transalp 650. I know there are better and more modern bikes around but i would like something i can work on and repair myself. I also want something a little care worn that i wouldn,t be upset dropping on a gentle trail to a camping spot. As i have said before i had an immaculate BMW F800gs which was too big for me to off road and too new and good condition to rattle around off road on. I am known for being fickle but i will find it difficult to get rid of my DRZ as it is a keeper like my Harley Davidson MT350 which i had for over ten years.
beany

Post by beany »

IMG_20180829_171918.jpg
IMG_20180829_171918.jpg (109.46 KiB) Viewed 14223 times
mine almost ready for the pyrenees leaving the 690 at home

Return to “BIKES”