Nosilife - any good?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
McOo

Nosilife - any good?

Post by McOo »

Picked up a couple of Nosi-life shirts in a Craghoppers sale, more because they looked decent and were heavily reduced than anything else, but on seeing that they are supposed to repell mosquitoes I wondered just how good that works?

Anyone put them to the test anywhere?

Will be taking them through Morocco, which most sources say there's not many mossies generally, but friends who just got back were pretty ravaged by them, around the north Algerian border region.

Will be taking Deet anyway, but just wondering..
jonny955

Re: Nosilife - any good?

Post by jonny955 »

My better half picked up one for me yesterday, in preparation for our trip to Peru later this week. It's in a suitably drab colour to prevent me from looking like food when we go to the Amazon :unsure: . I already have a similar shirt by Craghoppers (a 'Bear Grylls' special edition) which was brilliant in the admittedly less harsh Vietnamese/Mekong Delta conditions.

I'll let you know if it works in about 2 and a half weeks' time. we're also taking Deet but very aware of how nasty it is to humans.

Jon

PS We are trying out the Bimuno Travelaid as announced on this site too and will report back.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Interested in this stuff as I appear to be a walking buffet for most biting insects. They also do underwear impregnated with it as well which apparently repels bed bugs.

The old stuff with mosi repellent built in used to work quite well , but only for about four or five washes.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

In my experiences Craghoppers Nosilife works. I have also only recently had a little lecture on how it works from the guys at Craghoppers. They've managed to integrate an insect repellent into the fibers of the clothing to give them permanent repellancy. That means that you can wash these as many times as you want and they won't lose their ability to keep the mozzies away.

The original range of clothing did look a bit dull and boring but they're releasing some more 'exciting' colours and patterns.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Bryn wrote:The original range of clothing did look a bit dull and boring but they're releasing some more 'exciting' colours and patterns.
If you are going to tropical climates, you want to have a dark/drab colour that will not attract our little friends or scare off wildlife. Unfortunately, my SO Helena has had trouble locating a ladies' version for this very reason. All the similar tech-shirts are in bright and girly colours, which is not what is required if you are using them in the environment they are designed for.

Message to Craghoppers: Make a drab, unexciting ladies version, please ;) !

Jon
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

jonny955 wrote:
Bryn wrote:The original range of clothing did look a bit dull and boring but they're releasing some more 'exciting' colours and patterns.
If you are going to tropical climates, you want to have a dark/drab colour that will not attract our little friends or scare off wildlife. Unfortunately, my SO Helena has had trouble locating a ladies' version for this very reason. All the similar tech-shirts are in bright and girly colours, which is not what is required if you are using them in the environment they are designed for.

Message to Craghoppers: Make a drab, unexciting ladies version, please ;) !

Jon
Agreed Jon, but you can also get mozzies and other biting critters in towns and cities and wearing safari gear on a night out isn't my style ;)
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

I've a couple of shirts and light shirt/jackets from Craghoper that repell the biting insects. They do work very well but after 5 or 6 washes they need 're-charged'. the recharging solution can be bought from any reasonable walking/climbing shop for around £5-£8 depending on the retailer. For the life of my I can't remember the name of it, but it's from Nikwax, or at least the last one I got was.

Interesting though, you can use the re-charge stuff on anything, it just doesn't retain it for more than 1 or 2 washes.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”