Romania trip: any tips?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Guus

Romania trip: any tips?

Post by Guus »

Still 70 days to go and then starts the trip from the Netherlands to Romania to the Transalpina DN67C and the Transfagarasan DN7C. Any tips of those who visit this already?
anthony29040

Re: Romania trip: any tips?

Post by anthony29040 »

Me and my nephew went last year we went to Bran,it is a lovely place the roads are a bit shit but you will be alright on a adventure bike,loads of petrol stations .the food and drink is fairly cheap and most places take euros or master card.the one thing is the drivers are terrible it's
35390893296_ab3c6f3a8e_k.jpg
35390893296_ab3c6f3a8e_k.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
34619746403_41236e899d_k.jpg
34619746403_41236e899d_k.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
as if they are all out to kill you,even the locals admit they are shit,but saying that i am going back in june but only for a few days.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

If you are interested we put our trip up on our youtube channnel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcMPWg ... DQRdgNd6kg

As for tips, go for it, it's as good as anywhere you will ever go on on a bike. Make sure you carry some cash as alot of remote places won't take card.

The Transalpina is a better road that Transfagarasan, but both are excellent.

Pack for every weather, you can have freezing in the morning at altitude then near 40 degrees at low level in the afternoon.

If you have any particular questions just ask :)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Guus wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm Still 70 days to go and then starts the trip from the Netherlands to Romania to the Transalpina DN67C and the Transfagarasan DN7C. Any tips of those who visit this already?
You could be a little early in the year for the Transfagarasan Pass to be fully open.
It doesn't officially open until 1st July, but it can be opened earlier dependening on weather.
But don't despair, it's better if it is closed!
If it is closed, just carry on going, If you approach from the North side of the pass, you'll eventually find the road blocked by huge concrete blocks. With a bit of effort you should be able to get your bikes over/around/between the blocks.
Now you're in for a treat! You've got it to yourselves, the normally busy road is all yours.
At this time of year It'll only be blocked with snow near the top. You'll be able to ride the best part of the pass which is the North side. You can stop and take pictures anywhere.
We did it in 2014 when it was "closed", I did it again in 2016 when it was open.....give me closed any time!
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG (282.31 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG (313.85 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
mawse

Post by mawse »

This place OuterShell.co.uk does some quite cool route trip tshirts. If you are into that kinda thing. Transfăgărășan Highway being three of 'em.
transfag-bottom-flat.jpg
transfag-bottom-flat.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
gbags

Post by gbags »

Go to Bucharest ‘Old Town’ for food, nightlife and beer. We even met Brit rugby teams on tour. Great place for two or three nights.
The Transfagarasan is wonderful but check your dates. We skirted the barrier, got halfway up and came up against an eight foot high wall of snow. Superb ride up to there though.
Sigisoara is a very nice town but was told that Brazov is better.
Also the villages and roads all over the country are a delight, pretty much like Germany might have been pre-war.
I loved Romania and will certainly go back but would also nip up into Ukraine, to Lviv, if you had time. It’s another very pleasant surprise.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I thought that the 'Merry Cemetery ' was a hoot- Google it!

Vama Vece , near Constanta was a good, hedonistic place to hang out for a few days.

The road from Buzau to Brazov was one of my favourites , as were the salt mines at Turda.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I did the Dracula rally in Turda a couple of times a few years back--very friendly with street racing, drag racing on the salt and a great rock concert in an old quarry---plus off the beaten track on the mountain roads its really offroad--but well worth it--not really on if you have a strictly road bike.
hungodd94

Post by hungodd94 »

Romania is such a beautiful and lovely country, but you may pay attention to the prices of hotels may be different than when you actually book a room. If you have spent effots to go to Romania, i think you would want to pay a visit to Sighisoara with colorful houses and some good spots to view all over the town
Motorcycle4Rent

Post by Motorcycle4Rent »

Hello guys,

I'm living in Romania and I rode a lot at Transfagarasan mountain road.

Belivme me, many roads are amazing for motorcyclists!

Return to “TRAVEL”