Question- how to install TopoLusitania?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
bikenav

Question- how to install TopoLusitania?

Post by bikenav »

I would like to install this highly rated map for Portugal I have done a little map work loading OSM and building mapsets For Garmin MS/BC but I suspect this needs a different method. I have downloaded it but how do you install it for it to be read and appear in BC/MS already explored youtube there are tutorials there but not in English unfortunatly. Anyone know where I can find some help or help me themselves really need step by step instruction as I am a computer wally . Thanks .
Tramp

Re: Question- how to install TopoLusitania?

Post by Tramp »

Well just googld translate the instructions then dowmload and install the mapsource and basecamp versions...to transfere to saynav just use the transfer map icon on mapsource :lol: ...

I sugfest you changd your name as bikenav belays ypur problems lol ;) ...

Be very careful when you download direct to satnav as it can delete other mapping files, by using mapsource way it changes the map name slighly and alloxates it in a different place :lol: ..you still neec to activate the map on the satnav to use it..ive used garmon citynav,topo spain and topoluista all on same satnav but obviuosly not at tge same time as im a man not a woemen :D
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Hopefully I've found the map you're talking about here? https://sites.google.com/site/topolusitania/Home

If so, the installer for BC/MS references CGPSMapper.exe and a few other things which is going to be a faff. Why don't you just download the .img file as mentioned above and pop it on your satnav? You can download it from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!1FxFBADI!Epjpsh9jI ... u0Jb9OBlXk and then copy the .img file from that download onto your satnav (Main memory, or memory card, just don't overwrite an existing file. If there's one there, rename it or back it up elsewhere as mentioned above)

Then, if you want to use it on BC/MS, just do so with your GPS unit connected to your PC so BC/MS can read the map from the GPS? Not great, but it'll work.

Finally, I see that on their blog (http://topolusitania.blogspot.co.uk/) from about 18 months ago, they say they're integrating closely with OSM and the next release may be from OSM, so perhaps just get the OSM map as you're familiar with it directly and it may be just as good?
Since 2011 we have collaborated with the OpenStreeMap project .
The Portugal map of the OpenStreetMap project has reached such a level of data that the next TopoLusitania will be based fundamentally on the OSM data . Openstreetmap
data can be used on Garmin GPS. There are sites that make OpenStreetMap data available in Garmin format. You can start here . We may place in our maps information that for various reasons can not be used on OSM maps. If you want to know what we have been there (and we are doing): TopoLusitania - local TopoLusitania - Contributions
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks both unfamiliar with a lot of these terms although seen them mentioned tried the google translate initially but things that are perhaps obvious to others are double dutch to the rest of us and compounded by google's translating . anyway will have a look again. My Bike skills are reasonable thanks tramp as are my nav skills perhaps spent too much time around OS maps ,Roamers Pencils ,Pottis, and Timecards instead of Keyboards in earlier days leaving my computer skills shit as already admited hence the request for help.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

What Garmin device do you want to install the map on ?

As Daniel S said, easiest to download the actual image file ( containing the map ) from the link he gave. The file will have to be unzipped ( it's in a compressed format to make downloading easier ) There are various pieces of software that can do this if your PC doesn't already have anything installed, e.g WINZIP

http://www.winzip.com/landing/download- ... tJEALw_wcB

You can try it for free I think.

After unzipping the RAR file that you downloaded you shoild now get a file named " GMAPSUP2_Portugal.IMG "

This can then be copied onto your Garmin device which you plug into your PC. It must go into the folder named "Garmin" for the device to be able to use it.
Garmin screen grab.jpg
Garmin screen grab.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
It's preferable to actuallly put it on a microSD card within the garmin device if yours takes one ( I'm only familiar with Montanas but assume others are similar ) Create a folder on the SD card and name it "Garmin" and copy your map onto that, it's better to put the microSD card directly into the PC via a card reader to do this part. If you've followed all of that the map should appear in the list of maps when you boot up the device, simply enable it and away you go.

BTW if you need an online translator this one is very good, far superior to Google translate https://www.deepl.com/translator
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks Nico for taking the time for what looks like good info. Ideally I would like it "on" the computer and be able to choose it from the drop down map library as one of my collection of Euro OSM maps,CN etc in BC and MS for planning purposes. I also have a Montana so would like it on there as well probably on a card. Just on the montana would be ok and let BC read from there whilst connected by lead, as with my Discoverer card. Hopefully will try the weekend thanks again.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Sorry, didn't read your original question properly.

Not worked out yet how to install maps on the pc / Basecamp but a workaround is simply to clone the contents of your Montana onto a usb key or memory card which fools basecamp into thinking the actual unit is plugged in and you can access the maps that way. Not much of an advantage other than not having to fiddle around with a cable and Montana. It's straightforward , I've done this myself with a USB key, works with a sd card too.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-win ... mp/160255-
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Nico-D wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm Sorry, didn't read your original question properly.

Not worked out yet how to install maps on the pc / Basecamp but a workaround is simply to clone the contents of your Montana onto a usb key or memory card which fools basecamp into thinking the actual unit is plugged in and you can access the maps that way. Not much of an advantage other than not having to fiddle around with a cable and Montana. It's straightforward , I've done this myself with a USB key, works with a sd card too.

You Dee man Nick.......might need to speak to you soon regarding a small issue with my Montana... ;)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Nico-D wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm Sorry, didn't read your original question properly.

You Dee man Nick.......might need to speak to you soon regarding a small issue with my Montana... ;)
Is that small issue , Operator trouble :lol:
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

diggermanbob wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm
chunky butt wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Is that small issue , Operator trouble :lol:
I suspect you're not too far from the truth there Bob .... :lol:

Steve, yes anytime mate. Maybe do a trade as I wouldn't mind a test ride on your TTR to see how they are on tarmac, I know they're great on dirt. Thinking of getting one as a TET bike if I don't manage to resurrect the DRZ, there's a few TTRs on leboncoin at moment.

Return to “HOW TO..........”