Winter Biker?

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: Winter Biker?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Rederic wrote:Whats a SORN :shock:
It's what I do with my GS every November;)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I must be sick in the head because I prefer to ride here in Bulgaria in the winter, the leaves are off the trees so you get to see a lot more. The trails are more interesting as well, with snow on anything higher than 1500 meters. How do I stop my bikes going fury? Diesel! Mixed with a little oil and then I drench the bikes in it. Obviously not the breaks. I think the worst thing you can do is powerwash the bike and then park it for the winter. One thing we have to watch here is the first rain, the roads are almost unrideable being slippery than a politician. The daft thing is that the worse the road surface is here the better it is to ride in the winter.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

In "our" part of Bulgaria we've got a lot of farm land and Forest. I've only ridden this time of year once though....last year.
I think a lot of the crops have been harvested so we can ride across fields rather than boxing round them, also the undergrowth has died back a bit in the forests. The logging trails get very muddy though!
Spring is great in Bulgaria as well.
Back to Blighty, I know it's not really winter yet, but me and MrsW had to go to Harrogate yesterday, we went on my Multistrada.
Coming in from the West on the A59 can be a pain in the arse in a car..... trucks, farm vehicles, roadworks and heavy traffic coming into Harrogate.....it's a real bottleneck, plus there's major road works in the town centre.
We blitzed it on the bike, it was a pleasure slicing through town centre traffic and smashing past slow moving lines of traffic on the A59 (eyes peeled for camera vans of course) my wife, who's at best a once-a-year pillion actually said she enjoyed it!
Bikes are a fantastic way of negotiating this crowded country, we are privileged to own one.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

I don't mind freash stuff and to be sensible unsalted back roads are very dangerous..ill go out if the temperature lifts for the roads and ill ride the higher trails with snow ...workst thing is snow that's been down for days crushed and frozen ..that's time to head for the café and sack it
but I do like certain days if I can use the roads and trad freash snow ...not a easy combo to find though but days like these are priceless

ImageIMG_4088 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imageballs by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image10408687_848784655177623_8514474118947725736_n by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imagext by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image01090005 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0056 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

minkyhead wrote:I don't mind freash stuff and to be sensible unsalted back roads are very dangerous..ill go out if the temperature lifts for the roads and ill ride the higher trails with snow ...workst thing is snow that's been down for days crushed and frozen ..that's time to head for the café and sack it
but I do like certain days if I can use the roads and trad freash snow ...not a easy combo to find though but days like these are priceless

ImageIMG_4088 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imageballs by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image10408687_848784655177623_8514474118947725736_n by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imagext by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image01090005 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0056 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Gives me nightmares that photo!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

gspod

Post by gspod »

No car so all year round biker.

As people have already mentioned, in reality the weather is just not that bad. I had a 500 mile weekly commute from Lincoln to Sheffield for 2 years (1 hr each way) and only once did it rain for the whole way and only once did I get caught in heavy snow - it was on the way home so the roads were fine. Now I live in Sheffield - it's so hilly that if it snows everyone is stuck so I'll either walk to work or take the day off.

Muffs, heated grips and waistcoat. I came back from the Kent coast yesterday - cold and sunny it was lovely. As always I wash the bike once a month and spray liberally with WD40.

By the way I'm not a self righteous year round biker - each to their own - I don't drive a car for a particular reason.
adventuredon

Post by adventuredon »

Living in London and not having access to a garage means my bike stands on the street whether I ride it or not. Not being close enough to use an optimate, nor wanting to. I ride every day and as much as I can. Safer with the bike not standing proud in 1 spot too long :)
scooby

Post by scooby »

Definitely all year round but i try and avoid icy days.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Well today was a real test of clothing. My commute took 45 mins instead of the usual 30-35, mainly because of a
quick splash and dash to make it home on friday. But the weather is attrocious. 5C howling wind and absolutely
bucketing down. Some places the roads were more like fords... :o
But my Lindstrands gear (6 years old) kept me dry and warm as did my Gaerne boots. The only let down were
my gloves, but I have heated grips :D We also have heated drying cabinets at work, so all my gear will be toasty
dry for the ride home again.
Looking forward to riding home :D

Return to “BIKES”