Thoughts on the 660cc MT-03

The Things We Ride
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

A friend of mine is interested in a used MT-03 660cc bike. It's on a UK 57 plate, so registered at the second half of of 2007.
I wonder if anyone one here has owned one and can advise what to look out for please?
Thanks for any help.
Andi_Archer

Re: Thoughts on the 660cc MT-03

Post by Andi_Archer »

I was window shopping in Bill Smiths at Chester earlier and came across the MT-07, yes I know its another model but damn they look a nice bike and the yellow rims really set them off. (thumbs)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The older MT03 had the 660 Tenere engine fitted so plenty of info out there but I've not heard of any major engine issues.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I had one for a few months, great round the Twisty A and B roads, handles well, the seating position is a little 'different'.
Terrible for low speed filtering though, huuuuge amount of engine breaking, rear brake pads should last years
No wind protection.
A fun Bike for the back roads, but not one for the winter commute, I quite miss it now.
Oh, sorry , things to look out for, I didnt have it long, but the finish on the frame was quite poor and the forks needed heavier oil to help with excessive dive, didnt notice anything else, oh and getting to the battery was a pain as it's under the tank, so worth fitting a charge point to keep it topped up if it sits for any amount of time.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
stridey

Post by stridey »

Engines used in the water cooled latest Yam XT models so no problems there as ride and forget it other than check oil level.
They never sold in a big way compared to the XT's and therefore are lower in price.
The used bike guy in MCN this week has said they are a cracking bike for the price with a 2007 model with low miles for under £2k! Hopefully someone who's had one chimes in to concur?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Here's the thread I started when I sold mine a while back
28-for-sale-wanted/423873-yamaha-mt03-r ... rgain.html
Things that still stick in mind:
- hoot to ride on back roads, with a super motard feel, nothing up front type of feeling.
- look for usual stuff that you would on all the xt660 range of that era - corrosion on engine and casings, shocker, etc
- pretty much bulletproof motor
- surprisingly versatile, if you don't need much weather protection
- snatchy fuelling and a hip-hop, on-off first gear.
I'd have another, says it all.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:

Return to “BIKES”