Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

After the recent horrific events in London with moped used for acid attacks and the seemingly endless thefts of bikes and people using bikes as a getaway bike etc ..
I've just seen this in faceboooooook.
Allow police on motorbikes to chase criminals.
https://www.change.org/p/government-all ... m=whatsapp
Agree or disagree ?
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
Decco

Re: Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Post by Decco »

I'm pretty sure police on motorcycles have been chasing criminals for years.
It's also my view that police should be able to chase criminals regardless of what mode of transport they are using. I'm pretty sure they do chase bikes now. They chased me well over a ton to tell me what speed I was doing and lighten my wallet.
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... oped-gangs
Police chiefs face a dilemma. A growth in cameras on phones means terrifying pictures of the moped riding thieves have hit the media, exacerbating public concern.
Some officers believe the danger posed may justify tougher tactics and it is claimed the scooter gangs feel a sense of impunity because police are reluctant to chase them at high speed amid fears of injury or death.
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

High speed isn't really the problem with mopeds.... more their ability to ride on pavements, go down alleyways, through shopping precincts etc. That, and the lack of any road sense/riding competence on the part of the scrotes makes it difficult for the police to win. If they chase it may not end well and plod will be accused of pushing the scrotes into danger ..... if they don't chase, they face accusations of not trying!
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Until police officers are given proper legal protections against the consequences of the criminals crashing then NO...been there done it, and looking back, I was getting paid a relative pittance and was putting myself and families future in jeopardy just to catch a petty thief that was going to walk from court anyway...until the penalty for failing to stop matches that of the most serious crimes the police should just watch and use technology and intelligence to investigate the gangs ....
Society gets the kind of policing it deserves..years of liberalism and human rights has watered down their effectiveness...redress the balance and then the yobs would be fair game ...
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I don't think we are ever gonna reduce violent Crime untill we start dishing out proper sentences to the little sh1ts and making those years in nick hard ie, no tv, no visits and hard labour for no reward...for years and years and years, using the hard labour to pay for the extra prison capacity needed
p.s. and allowing them to be beaten if they don't work
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Africa John wrote:If you do the crime be prepared to do the time

I'm of the generation where we had genuine respect for the police and a fear of being arrested or the policeman having a word with my parents!

As far as I'm concerned they can tazer or baton the little shits before getting them back to the nick.

Probably get a load of flack from the leftie PC snowflake brigade but frankly my dears I don't give a damn

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Jim it's not a police officers job to dispense justice that's the job of the courts. It's a police officers job to detain people who he suspects of committing an offence or who has committed an offence and to gather the relevant evidence.

Although I was a great believer in defending myself should the situation arise and I was found not guilty in a subsequent court case, gratuitous violence should not be allowed. But it is amazing how people turn on you when a complaint is made :whistle: (thumbs)

Police officers can't win no matter what they do, as a poster has already said you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If you chase someone and they get hurt you are in the doo doo, if you chase someone and a member of the public gets hurt deep doo doo and then you have to live with the consequence of the mistake that has happened and so do the other parties involved.

my slowest blues and two's chase 3mph, my fastest ;) my longest on foot was measured in miles and I only ever lost one foot chase :whistle: but would I call one off if the public was in to greater danger yes as I wanted to go home at the end of my shift as well (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

If you do the crime be prepared to do the time
I'm of the generation where we had genuine respect for the police and a fear of being arrested or the policeman having a word with my parents!
As far as I'm concerned they can tazer or baton the little shits before getting them back to the nick.
Probably get a load of flack from the leftie PC snowflake brigade but frankly my dears I don't give a damn
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Redmurty wrote:...........

Although I was a great believer in defending myself should the situation arrive and I was found not guilty in a subsequent court case, gratuitous violence should not be allowed. But it is amazing how people turn on you when a complaint is made :whistle: (thumbs)

Police officers can't win no matter what they do, as a poster has already said you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If you chase someone and they get hurt you are in the doo doo, if you chase someone and a member of the public gets hurt deep doo doo and then you have to live with the consequence of the mistake that has happened and so do the other parties involved.
Therein lies the problem. I am sure most of you are aware but there is and has been many cases (and it looks like Spud is one of them) where Police end up in court for driving/assault offences and once accused the venom and weight of the law is all aimed at them, not the scrote that caused the problem in the first place.

Understandably, a couple of weeks ago the Police Federation issued advice telling all drivers not to use the speeding/red light etc, exemptions they had and quite frankly I agree. I know that currently police are instructed not to chase motorcycles/mopeds and sadly the scrotes know it too so are doing what they want with no fear of old bill on their case.

As Gedge says, "Society gets the kind of policing it deserves".

It looks like the powers that be are now waking up to reality. They are now mumbling about new powers etc. Total crap: all the Police needs is support in the powers they already have.

And dont get me started on "Stop and Search"....Grrrr
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I spent 18 months under investigation accused of an assault that simply did not happen..they took 14 witness statements from supporters of the yob that I assisted ( off duty) to detain, but took for me to refuse to attend interview until they had taken a statement from my wife ...it never occurred to them to look for evidence to reject his story ...car chases that ended in crashes ( not me, them) often resulted in weeks removed from driving duties while they investigated..thankfully the worst outcome in any chase was 1 broken arm but he was lucky not to have been crushed to death...he was 15!!!! Imagine who they would have blamed had he died...

Return to “THE PUB”