Tunnel crossing safety

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Standonit

Tunnel crossing safety

Post by Standonit »

Next month marks my two year anniversary of returning to the UK. When I returned two years ago one of the first things I did was purchase a motorcycle for touring on. Over the past couple of years my wife and I have had many enjoyable motorcycle trips around the UK. However, we want to start doing trips to mainland Europe and beyond. Many years ago when we toured mainland Europe on motorcycle we always crossed the channel using the ferry which we both enjoyed. To date we have never used the tunnel and would like to try it. However my concern is how safe is it to cross the channel via the tunnel with the current migrant situation? I know the Jungle was bulldozed into the ground, but it still looks like they are still having issues (see link)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... ee-trunks/
Hope I am not touching on a sensitive subject but would just like to hear the experiences of others.
Please enjoy our pictures from a recent trip to the Isle of Skye and Mull
https://spark.adobe.com/page/5nqkOVLzDsTiK/
noodles

Re: Tunnel crossing safety

Post by noodles »

You will be fine mate .... I have used it twice this year and twice last year and never saw a thing and that was staying overnight in Calais everytime (thumbs) ... I like the Chunnel, its quick, no strapping down and really easy ... enjoy your trip B)
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I came back early Monday morning, drive into the train car park at about 10 on the Sunday night and didn't see a single migrant or anyone else for that matter until I got to the passport control.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

You'll be fine just check your panniers for illegal stowaways on your return
Standonit

Post by Standonit »

:laugh: will do.
Cone

Post by Cone »

zimtim wrote:You'll be fine just check your panniers for illegal stowaways on your return
They'll fit any wheres at the moment!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

On the way to Dunkirk in May we saw hundreds on migrants walking along the side of the motorway but once at the dock we saw none all the dock personal were doing rigerous checks on the vehicles but all was good you needn't worry as all is in control
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
herman

Post by herman »

No problem at all this week. The only bug bear is they divert you through the car park past the terminals 'just in case' you need to go in and spend some money with them. Gatwick is worse though you dont get out alive unless you zig zag round the shops. I walk round chanting Baaaa now. :(
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
petecam

Post by petecam »

I travel though the Chunnel on a regular basis both in car and on bike. I think to be honest they target large vans and trucks. They want to hide away and get into the UK. Not much hope with a bike or car.
I often see them walking about or hiding in the scrub but that's it.
Biggest danger is if they try and block the road to stop trucks. But that seems to be worse on the road down from Dunkirk. Just keep you're speed down as you approach Calais and you'll be fine.
I think the goings on at Calais is over exaggerated in the U.K press (qu'elle surprise !)
Cheers
P
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

we always come up from boulogne and you never see owt, best way to cross the channel, mint
steve

Return to โ€œTRAVELโ€