Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Pyrenees

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
sprintster

Re: Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Pyrenees

Post by sprintster »

Big buzzard spotting.That'll be vultures is it? I saw them in one if the gorges off the Verdon. :)
thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly »

OB1 wrote:
thebiggestjolly wrote:We were originally planning to go to Finland and back, but have decided now on warmer climes.
It was 23 degrees Celsius when I went up to the Arctic Circle and Nordkapp in August last year! Far more comfortable than the 39 degrees in Germany on the way back... :blink:
To be honest the temperature is not a real draw for me. As a pasty Scotsman I think the South of France in August will be WAY too hot for me!
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

stramasher wrote:I would give the Pyrenees a miss (save for another 2 weeker trip to fully enjoy!)which allows you to enjoy more of the Vosges, Alps, SOFrance and Cevennes. Tour instead of just riding through. Take an extra night dump the luggage for a day or two and go explore.

A loop of the Gorge du Verdon as Sprinster recommends is a must and is a joy. Early as you can as can fill with the dreaded campers later on. Castellane nearby is ideal to stay over and get that early start with the Gorge pretty much to yourself. The small town is also really nice and very biker friendly.

Before that though, Aiguille Du Midi cable car from Chamonix. Stunning.Again beat the coach loads and get there for the first "car" up.

Big n'small cable cars from Zermatt in Switzerland up over a huge glacier to near the Matterhorn. Proper looking mountain. Earlier the better for the best unclouded views of the peak.

Go through the Massif De L'Esterel inbetween St Rapheal and Cannes.You have the perfect bike. Nobody there. A gem.

Take the road north from Menton to Saint Agnes beautiful hilltop village, with an even higher castle ruins and the end of the Maginot Line fortifications.

Cevennes: Loop round the Tarn and Jonte Gorges. Drop in on the big buzzard spotting place on the Jonte Gorge road.Just happened on it and ended up spending way way more time than I thought I would "checkin' oot the burds!"

Hope that whets your appetite. Lucky fella. B)

A very good point.....this method also makes sense, if you don't like to ride big kms (thumbs)

Cable car ride at Chamonix? .............. (thumbs)

(There's also a great one at the observatory at Pic du Midi in the Pyrénées....I rode below it today at La Mongie by coincidence )

:)

Will It Buff Out?
fairyplum

Post by fairyplum »

We have just had a few days going round this area...the Sella Ronda in the Dolomites. It is full of bikes of all kinds .Bends galore, scenery fantastic. We appear to have been the only British bikes. The Italians all speak english, plenty of places to stay, lots of cafe stops and you can spend all day going up and down passes and hairpin bends. Weather has been glorious too. Italy is cheaper than Germany, food is great. So head for Arabba or Corvara and the whole circuit and you will be amazed. If you fancy time off your bike then you can also take a lift up the mountains and admire some glaciers.

Return to “TRAVEL”