Bargain quality socket sets

The essential art of farkling.
EarthWorm

Re: Bargain quality socket sets

Post by EarthWorm »

Andi_Archer wrote:The four O`s? :laugh: (thumbs)
It's four candles!!!!!!
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

I dont have snap on or any other premium brands, so I use halfords pro myself as its cheap and good enough, and replaced without too much fuss, but I dont think its that great as some of you make it sound. (maybe to take off bike fairing)
I only use the tools for my own use in between fixing my bikes or cars and there must have been about 5 snapped off extension bars, sockets, socket bits and other items... and Ive only been spannering here and there for about 10 years, so not heavy user either.
I am also pretty sure the ratchet handle slipped on me once or twice (the ratchet mechanism inside).
I dont use them as hammers, dont use them in anger, and dont use extension bars on ratchet handle as some of you might think.
maybe we are getting shit badges here in london :)
V_King

Post by V_King »

mjojom wrote:I dont have snap on or any other premium brands, so I use halfords pro myself as its cheap and good enough, and replaced without too much fuss, but I dont think its that great as some of you make it sound. (maybe to take off bike fairing)
I only use the tools for my own use in between fixing my bikes or cars and there must have been about 5 snapped off extension bars, sockets, socket bits and other items... and Ive only been spannering here and there for about 10 years, so not heavy user either.
I am also pretty sure the ratchet handle slipped on me once or twice (the ratchet mechanism inside).

I dont use them as hammers, dont use them in anger, and dont use extension bars on ratchet handle as some of you might think.
Are you sure you are using the tools for the purpose? It sounds to me that you are trying to torque lorry wheel nuts using 1/4 socket set with a tube at the end to extend the leverage for a good measure. To snap an extension bar you need a lot of torque.
And H pro range is not cheap compared to other professional brands unless you buy them during offers, so maybe you've got the budget range, which is crap.
""
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

on the subject of 1/4 drive always look for a 14 mm in the set--a good indicator of quality!
You can't beat Lidl or Aldi quality versus value on everyday tools!(in my experience--and I'm a bit of a tool anorak---or is that simply tool!!--great for taking on the bike or in the car as if they get nicked its only a few quid--and I haven't broken anything of theirs yet!). Probably the best value quality for "lifetime " tools is Facom--buy in the French Supermarkets rather than the UK. Also Bahco are very good--especially compact 1/4 drive sets
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

just bought one of there batt drill, used it all day sunday on the charge out of the box £29 a steal
steve
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

[/quote]
Are you sure you are using the tools for the purpose? It sounds to me that you are trying to torque lorry wheel nuts using 1/4 socket set with a tube at the end to extend the leverage for a good measure. To snap an extension bar you need a lot of torque.
And H pro range is not cheap compared to other professional brands unless you buy them during offers, so maybe you've got the budget range, which is crap.[/quote]

well, to put in the perspective;
month ago before first time MOTying my new to me vw T5 I was taking wheels off (not sure who and when have them off last time) to check pads and for wear and tear in joints.
19mm socket on extension bar, one of 20 bolts was really stubborn, the bit on extension bar where socket sits snapped clean off.
again, replaced with no fuss but was not too impressed.and if you read my post, i am not leveraging handle with extension tube.

the fact that they replaced the extension means that it should be genuine pro range.
and it is not cheap, but it is not in snap, bahco or vera range either.

t5 is maybe not a car with 17mm socket bolts but surely its not lorry either and it should be enough. Before van I had cars only and as mentioned, had few issues with.
dazcapri

Post by dazcapri »

Halfords stuff is OK for the price the only thing I don't like about it are the 12 point sockets,if your working on older rustier stuff like I used to you can't beat 6 point sockets
bowber

Post by bowber »

dazcapri wrote:Halfords stuff is OK for the price the only thing I don't like about it are the 12 point sockets,if your working on older rustier stuff like I used to you can't beat 6 point sockets
The deep sockets are usually full hex.

I've never snapped an extension or socket yet, and that includes taking Transit wheels off with a long breaker bar and doing hub nuts.
I've bounced on them, used tubes on the ratchets, hammers etc.
My 3/8" set is getting on for 15 years old and it's still good, the chrome hasn't worn off or chipped, I've even turned the outside of some of the sockets down to get them in tight spaces and they still haven't burst.
If you get them when they are on offer there well worth it and if one goes missing your not looking at a fortune to replace it.

Steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

V_King wrote:
mjojom wrote:I dont have snap on or any other premium brands, so I use halfords pro myself as its cheap and good enough, and replaced without too much fuss, but I dont think its that great as some of you make it sound. (maybe to take off bike fairing)

And H pro range is not cheap compared to other professional brands unless you buy them during offers, so maybe you've got the budget range, which is crap.
i managed to bend a pro bead bar getting a tyre off at the weekend )karoo 3) very disappointed with the quality for the price

steve
Nin101

Bargain quality socket sets

Post by Nin101 »

Had my Halfords Pro set for years now. Superb kit, and great vfm, but I did get it in a half price sale.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “ACCESSORIES”